Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Is spotting common when starting HRT?  (Read 1039 times)

soniad

Is spotting common when starting HRT?
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:12 PM »

Good morning ladies,

I have been taking 0.25mcg Estradot and 100mg Utrogestan (15 days) for one month now.

My first bleed went well, it lasted 5 days and my sleep has slowly started to get better (Insomnia was my only symptom). I am tolerating the Utrogestan well so far.

I am due to start the Utrogestan cycle in 6 days time - but this morning I noticed some spotting.

Is this kind of thing common when you first start HRT and if so, do I need to wait a few month to see if it settles?

At what point should I be worried enough to investigate further (EG: scans, etc...)

Thanks for you advice

Hurdity

Re: Is spotting common when starting HRT?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »

Hi soniad - it depends where you are in menopause - peri or post ( ie if you were without a natural period for 12 months before starting HRT.) If you are peri-menopausal then your own hormones may well kick in and override the low dose of oestrogen you are taking. Also are you taking the progesterone orally? It is normally advised to try a particular HRT type for 3 months to let any side effects settle.

Hurdity x

soniad

Re: Is spotting common when starting HRT?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

Hey Hurdity!

Thanks for your quick reply. I am peri.

I'm taking the progesterone vaginally.

Yeah, that's what I thought (re the 3 months) but I wanted to get the advice of you ladies here to be sure.

xx