Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: never ending period  (Read 2692 times)

nickip

never ending period
« on: August 26, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »

Hi all

Only posted once on here before now!  had blood tests earlier in the year to confirm I am indeed menopausal, have been suffering from hot flushes and night sweats until last month when then seemed to suddenly stop and after not having a period since April I have now been bleeding quite heavily for 3 weeks!!!  Just wondered if this was normal and if anyone else had similar, ive never suffered with heavy periods or painful but this is both and seems to not be ending anytime soon!!  Very reluctant to try HRT as symptoms have been manageable until now.  Any advice etc would be very welcome!!  Nicki x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: never ending period
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »

Your GP/Practice Nurse can advice on medication to ease heavy, long periods.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 04:06:39 PM »

Hi nickip - quite often hot flushes will stop when a period is brewing. This can lead you to think that you are through the menopausal stuff only for them to begin again once the period has stopped.

Periods of different length and of different heaviness are common during peri menopause. The longest one I had was over ten weeks which was annoying although at the time I didn't even think of contacting my GP as I just saw it as part and parcel of the changing hormones. You may find that you now go back to having fairly regular periods or you  may go months again without one. If you haven't had one since April then your womb lining will have built up so there will be more to shed hence the long period. If you are concerned that you are losing too much blood then it may be worth visiting your GP but if you are managing it ok then it should stop eventually.

Taz x  :)

riverrunsfree

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »

Hiya nickip i also started with a never ending period. This is the point to make sure you take iron otherwise anaemia could happen.

I wish I had known to take iron...it took months of hairloss and exhaustion to build up again

xxx