Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT update  (Read 2721 times)

AnnaCupcake

HRT update
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »

I thought I'd swing by and give an update.

For a bit of background, I had a very sudden menopause at 47 when my brother died a year ago.  Didn't twig what it was for several months as I have a mirena coil.  Was crippled with anxiety and could hardly leave the house.  Also had nightmares, sweats, eczema,  all sorts.

Patches helped but they kept falling off and when I went HRT cold turkey it was horrendous.

I ended up paying to see a gynaecologist privately.  I was getting worried about my job.  It gave me peace of mind that there was nothing else going on.  She discussed all the options with me.  I was keen to try the gel as suggested on here but she made the point that I clearly needed a specific dose and she felt there was too much margin for a varying does.  So I've started pill popping!  Just over two months later and I'm a new woman.  Well I'm the old woman back again.  I've a new job and I'm losing the 6 stone I put on.  Before we realised about my meno, my GP had been giving me ever higher doses of anti depressants and I'm now on a third of the dose I was 9 weeks ago.

I do understand the desire to have a "natural" menopause but it simply wasn't an option for me.  I don't see it as a cop out but me taking back my life, my marriage, my job, and my sanity. 

Michelle46

Re: HRT update
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »

Great news Anna. What was the strength of your pills and were they combined estrogen and progesterone? I'm starting to feel a bit better. I have started the gel (2 pumps) and 100mg utrogestan for 14 days of the month x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 08:39:38 PM »

Hi AnnaCupcake

Thanks for the update and so glad to hear you are feeling better and doing so well! I quite agree - "natural menopause" can last 40 years or more with life expectancy as it is - so why spend what's left of your active years moping, worrying, being miserable, having to give up work etc etc as you point out. No point in being a martyr - even if it might shorten one's life by a little bit (but it may well do the opposite!). The point is one can never know so why not feel better while you are able to make the most of it eh?

Hurdity x :)

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:59:57 AM »

I'm on pills too now. I'm in surgical menopause. I didn't get along with the gel personally as fluctuations were a complete disaster for me! Going from some hormones to none literally drove me insane.

Good luck and I'm so glad you're feeling so great! :)

warwick01

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:51:55 AM »

Hi Annacupcake

That is really good news :)

Do you mind sharing your HRT regime??

Thanks
Wx

SueLW

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »

I'm on pills too now. I'm in surgical menopause. I didn't get along with the gel personally as fluctuations were a complete disaster for me! Going from some hormones to none literally drove me insane.

Just wanted to agree with you here.  The fluctuations in oestrogen make me very unwell.  Anxiety through the roof, depression, stress, you name it, I get it with anything that is not a level dose.  I love the patch.  I stopped it on Sunday, feeling as though I were a bit overdosed and decided to have a few hours off and then replace with a slightly smaller dose (by cutting the 50 patch down a little).  I was fine for a few hours, but 8 hours later I was really suffering again.

The odd thing is I never suffered with hormone fluctuations as a younger woman.  I was the most even mood woman I knew!