Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What to do now then??? Terrified  (Read 3268 times)

Ljp

What to do now then??? Terrified
« on: August 26, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »

After recent press release regarding increased risk of breast cancer in some using combined HRT fir five years in their early 50's, I'm feeling I should rush to my G.P and have my mirena coil removed and throw my oestrogel in the bin!

I've made an appointment to see my GP can't see her until sept 7th

I suffered severe anxiety, flushes, brain fog, horrendous mood swings, no libido (nit improved greatly by HRT either 😟)... All the above and more for years before eventually taking the HRT route back in December last year.

Mostly I've felt a lot lot better, anxiety is copeable now, hot flushes gone, mood swings much reduced, I feel I'm nicer to be around....BUT NOW IM TERRIFIED, I'm feeling like a walking time bomb with the mirena inside me releasing progestogen continually, and unsure about what the oestrogel is doing.
It's been an 8 month roller coaster since starting this regime, constantly questioning pros and cons, should I or shouldn't I be on it, and now with this weeks scary evidence....I'm in a flat spin and don't know what to do. :'( :'(

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:45:49 AM by Ljp »

Dana

Re: What to do now then??? Terrified
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »

Have you checked out the discussion about this issue? Perhaps it might calm some of your fears.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32927.0.html

Ljp

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »

Hi Dana, yes I have, I posted on that thread, the thread then became a discussion of whether or not to go private.

To be honest I struggle to understand all the statistics and it only confuses me more. Rightly or wrongly, I see that there is evidence there is an increased breast cancer risk in women taking combined HRT in their early 50's ( I'm 52) and this is what it scaring me.

Prior to going on HRT I battled with whether to or not, then after having a post meno bleed and seeing gynaecologist who reassure me its minimal risk and benefits outweigh risk until 60, I had mirena fitted and started on oestrogel, NICE guidelines made me feel more at ease.… and now less than a year later, I'm in turmoil following the press release, and feel I'm trapped with a mirena coil I can't just stop taking HRT.

I'm terrified of breast cancer, I dont smoke, drink occasionally, I teach fitness classes and do 10 hours exercise classes a week, plus walking.
I'm scared to stay on it now, but equally so I'm worried that all my anxiety and flushes and mood swings will return, not to mention over active bladder

Feeling RUBBISH 😢

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »

Hi ljp - did you read Dr Currie's response on that thread? I didn't know whether it had got missed in amongst the posts. She said this

"While this study reported today is good for an observational study, it is still an observational study and hence has biases. The overall information does not tell us anything new and nothing that was not included in the NICE guideline.
Some important points to consider:
1. The associated risk returned back to baseline within 1 to 2 years after stopping HRT, confirming the view that HRT does not CAUSE breast cancer, but that it may promote the growth of cancer cells which are already present in some women--it can act as a promoter, not an initiator. This is a really important message since many women fear that HRT causes breast cancer.
2. The NICE guideline did in fact take into account the fact that previous observational studies may have underestimated the risk so NICE recommendations are still very relevant.
3. There is evidence that different progestogens may be associated with a different risk, types increasingly used today were not the main types used in this study.
4. While trebling of risk sounds very alarming, the actual figures are still very small and for many women, the benefits will continue to outweigh the risks.
5. Statement from British Menopause Society and Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists will be placed in our news section later today.*
I hope this is helpful.
In summary, no major changes in advice or recommendations.
Best wishes
Heather"

Taz x  :hug:

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »

Thank you Taz, that dies help somewhat, but still unsure what to do, there are so many unanswered questions…
What was the lifestyle if the women that developed bc while on CHRT?
Had they had children? If so had they breast fed?
What type of HT were they using, tablet, transdermal, mirena?
Can't see my GP being able to shed any light on the situation really.
Just all so confusing and makes me over anxious and panicky

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 10:34:27 AM »

Ljp these panics and anxieties are horrible aren't they.  I understand your fears but your original post sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me.  I hope you can talk to someone soon who can put all this in perspective for you.  It sounds like the issue here is more your anxiety than the HRT question and you need reassurance.  I cannot give this to you as I don't have the knowledge, but there are some knowledgeable ladies here in addition to Dr Currie who I hope will soon ease some of your fears.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »

I am not going to let it bother me too much and will continue with mine.
HRT use reduces risk of bowel cancer by I think 16% at that is a nasty one.
Also MIL was crippled by osteoporosis and a hip fracture can cause premature death.
Obviously it is for you to decide what is right for you :)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »

I see you have a Mirena the same as me. I have wondered if protesterone released this way is less of risk :-\

Ljp

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »

Me too Tinkerbell, been wanting to know if the fact it's in the uterus means a lot less progestogen is absorbed throughout the body?
Can I ask how old you are Tinkerbell, and how long you have been on mirena and  oestrogen HRT ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »

Try to stop worrying!  Quality of Life Girl, Quality of Life!!!! something takes us off the Planet, that bus is more likely to be along sooner than HRT would cause cancers, unless someone is very unlucky  ;).

If a regime suits a woman then stick with it.  It can be stopped in order to see where she is in the Meno Journey and re-started, or some ladies prefer to use what is prescribed and get on with Life. 

One also needs to find out who funded this particular Study!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:49:32 PM by CLKD »

Tinkerbell

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »

Ljp....I am 53 and have been using both for 4 months. I started full HRT because of awful palpitations and VA problems.
Palpitations have gone :) but dury still out in it helping VA...still need vagifem every day :-\