Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bleeding since May - sorry to be so blunt  (Read 1550 times)

Julieb1712

Bleeding since May - sorry to be so blunt
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »

Hello Everyone
I am 48 years old, I have always had regular periods, couple of heavy days then couple of light days then stopped.  I was on the pill from being 21 / 22 until I was 40, only coming off to have my two boys.  There not hound 19 & 15 but the eldest has Aspergers (ASD) that's hard work

In January this year I started getting clots during the period but again nothing too alarming. 

In May I was 10 days late and when I did start I was getting discharge with the bleed and it didn't stop bleeding, in August I started with clots and "gushing" changing super tampon and night time towels (worn at the same time) on the hour if not more often, I couldn't even get out of the car normally, to say I was in a state in an understatement.  I have spare clothes in the car "just in case".   

I had been going to the Doctors on a regular basis to give updates, then I was ringing rather than taking up an appointment, just to keep him informed.

I had a scan early October, which showed Fybroids but I have been told they are very small, nothing to worry about.

In October he put me on Norethisterone 5mg, three times a day, this was for three weeks it did slow the flow and I wasn't getting as many clots but it didn't stop.

The Doctor made me an appointment to see a consultant on 10 November, my options at this point was the Mirena Coil (which could be fitted immediately) or Ablasion.

I opted for the Mirena Coil as I hopped this would give me some relief and the consultant said she would hope that the bleeding would stop and again I am on Norethisterone 15mg once a day, while the coil "settles in".

The bleeding is still there, granted its not heavy and not clotting, but its still there everyday, I get a pressure, its almost like when your pregnant and the head it "down", I feel exhausted, I'm not sleeping very well, no energy, assuming I am anemic.

Black trousers everyday, I have a lovely pair of grey trousers / jeans, which I would not dare wear at the moment.

I go back to see the consultant on 19 January and if I am still the same she may want me to wait (again) as the coil may not have "settled" or may suggest the Ablasion.

Sorry to give you all the gory details, but I don't know what to as I feel by the time I get sorted out I will have been bleeding for a year!

Regards
Julie
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:39:31 PM by Julieb1712 »

Dancinggirl

Re: Bleeding since May - sorry to be so blunt
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »

Hi and welcome Julieb1712
Your story is not uncommon when peri menopause starts.  It is early days with the Mirena and it often takes several weeks, and sometimes up to 6 months, for the bleeding to gradually reduce and hopefully stop.  The Mirena is a favourite with many gynaes as it is brilliant at resolving problematic bleeding but nothing is going to work overnight I'm afraid.
Some discomfort , cramps etc. is also quite normal after the Mirena is fitted and this should settle as the bleeding reduces.
I'm sure you have found all this very distressing but you are being given excellent treatment and you now need to be patient and let the Mirena do it's magic.  The Mirena will often shrink fibroids so that is good.
I bet by Christmas you will start to feel better - I really understand your worry over this and if an ablation is needed then this is a routine procedure.
When I had a Mirena is actually made me feel very relaxed and slightly sedated in the first few weeks - this may kick in for you in the next 2-3 weeks - I slept like a baby for the first time in ages.

Get yourself some Feroglobin to boost your iron levels, try to eat really well and try to get some relaxation if you can - I bet this will be tough if you have young children.
Have you tried using Nytol (from behind the pharmacist counter) as a few nights of this might get you sleeping a bit better. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »

:welcomemm:  you seem to have a knowledgeable GP so stick with the advice and treatment.  Also take some of the suggestions above.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:48:29 PM »

Hi Julieb1712

:welcomemm:

For iron (in my case occasional supplementation) I take Floradix liquid - which is also a very gentle iron tonic - but is made from herbal extracts as well as the added iron etc. Have had this since pregnancy when I became anaemic and didn't want to take iron pills!

Hurdity x :)

kiltgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »

Hi Julie,

I really hope you get this sorted soon, I can't imagine putting up with it for so long, I had 3 weeks continuous heavy heavy at the start of the year and I was nearly at breaking point then.
I hope you get on OK with the Mirena, sometimes it can take weeks/months before it starts doing its things apparently...I've never been able to deal with it unfortunately so having a hysterectomy soon so I can make the pain and bleeding go away.

Talking of scans, I was told after I had one that everything looked ok, only when I had a hysteroscopy I was told that the lining of the uterus was thickened. Are they able to do a hysteroscopy to see what's going on in there?

I really feel for you, hopefully soon you'll be back in your fav jeans  :)