Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: New to HRT - what should I expect, Ladies?  (Read 3938 times)

suegre60

• First Flush
New to HRT - what should I expect, Ladies?
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »

Hi

I am 56 and just want to feel like "me" again. My periods stopped almost two years ago, preceded by horrendous monthly headaches and the usual heavy periods ( I had an endometrial ablation in 2010 but they didn't stop!).

After 18 months of hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety and indecisiveness ( if M & S make about 30 different styles of knickers, how do they expect a menopausal woman to choose!) and a complete loss of libido, I saw my lovely GP who said give HRT a try. I am an ex nurse so was really unsure and did lots of research. She had suggested Tibolone but I wanted a patch so I stuck the first Evorel Conti on last Wednesday. Within an hour I was retching, like morning sickness, which I presume was due to the Norethisterone but by Saturday my husband thought all his Christmases had come at once when I finally felt I wanted more than a cuddle! I changed the patch yesterday and again had an hour of retching. The night sweats are definitely better but the hot flushes probably about the same yet but I definitely feel a bit less foggy. How long on average, ladies, should I expect to wait for the full effect?

clare663

Re: New to HRT - what should I expect, Ladies?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »

Hi suefre60, I tried the Everol 50 conti patches and found they worked pretty quickly on my hot flushes (about 3 days) but I did have to start on half a patch as I found the whole patch had a strange effect on me. I gradually increased it over 3 weeks but sadly had to stop using them after 6 weeks as my mood plummited!!

suegre60

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

Thanks Clare 663, something (else) to be aware of! I didn't say I was also suffering with a crawling sensation/ itchy skin, new bladder weakness, totally knackered, even though I have taken early retirement and painful joints particularly in the morning. Oh and vaginal dryness!  I am pinning everything on HRT working. I so want to feel " normal" again! I am so glad I found this forum. It is nice to know I am not going mad nor suffering alone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »

:welcomemm:  some ladies find that half a patch is enough!  Others begin with half and then move up ….. am sure that someone will be along with more advice.

As for peri-menopause, as oestrogen levels drop off apparently the body becomes dry hence the itching: for me it was the insteps on both feet as I got into the bath each night: - skin, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina and muscles become lax: = muscle aches .  It's The Change so expect the un-expected  ::).

Vaginal atrophy can be sorted usually with treatment, it presents with repeated bladder feelings like urine 'infections'.  Once that initial urine test has been sent to the Lab. and comes back without growth that requires ABs, ask for Vagifem or Ovestin1mg.  Some ladies find that Sylk works too.  Don't be fobbed off!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »

suegre60 welcome to MM
I found the combined patches gave me a big hit in the first day when stuck on so had to abandon them.  Also using the conti HRT is not always the best approach from the outset as it is difficult to know whether it's the progesterone causing side effects or not.  Many of us stick with sequential HRt (even post meno) and put up with a monthly bleed to avoid too many side effects from the progesterone.  If you have a Mirena fitted then this can be the least hassle with the fewest side effects and you just add in oestrogen as either pill, patch or gel.
You may well do better with Oestrogel which you apply every day - so a constant dose which can be tailored to what you need - and then use progesterone separately and this would be Utrogestan or Provera in pill form or the Mirena.
Have a look under TREATMENTs to get clued up.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 07:47:03 PM »

Hi suegre60

:welcomemm:

I agree with what the others have said - and especially that you should get some vaginal oestrogen as CLKD suggests to help with vaginal issues, in addition to full HRT.

Your body has been without oestrogen for a while so initially it is a shock to the system. The nausea could well be due to the oestrogen - as with morning sickness in pregnancy - and this is a common initial side effect.

Yes to starting on half a patch for a two or three weeks.

Yes to Dancinggirl's suggestion of starting on cyclical HRT (there is one called Evorel sequi which only has the combi patches for two weeks, the other two are oestrogen only.

Good luck :)

Hurdity x

suegre60

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 07:55:14 PM »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. My main criteria to my GP was I didn't EVER want a monthly bleed again hence her suggestion of the Tibolone. Also I do not want a coil - personal preference. Should I be using half a patch? Have had full one on since last Wednesday. No other side effects so far apart from the retching.

Minnie123

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:26:41 AM »

Hi I have an appointment with my GP and intend asking for HRT to assist with my menopause symptoms. I have not had a period for about six years but am still experiencing many of the symptoms associated with the menopause. Having read the above comments I am now confused about what type of HRT I should ask for. I wasn't aware that there were so many side effects.

clare663

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:24:39 AM »

Hi Minnie123 and welcome! As you are post meno your GP should be suggesting a conti routine. If I were you I would try and avoid the tablet form, just choose either patches or gel to avoid the HRT going through your digestive system. There are many forms and it is just a case of trying different ones until you find the one that suits you. Good luck on your search.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »

Hi again suegro - No need to start with half a patch - it was just a suggestion because of the nausea so if you are happy with it apart from that then carry on with a full patch :) Hope you continue to improve!

Minnie123 - if you are after more advice and tips about specific HRT - perhaps start a new thread otherwise there are two convos leaping over each other?!

Hurdity x

suegre60

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:50:22 PM »

Hurdity
Reduced to half a patch last night and nausea and retching gone completely! When should I think about increasing again? Really am feeling much better overall though - a week tomorrow since commencing treatment and hot flushes reduced significantly and sleeping like a baby for the first time in ages!