Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: I have been exceptionally lucky!  (Read 2212 times)

RedFraggle

I have been exceptionally lucky!
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:11:21 AM »

The more I read this forum the more it's dawned on me quite how lucky I have been.

I think my peri symptoms started about 8 years ago (I was 35 then) when I had a lot of heart rythm issues and ended up being investigated by a cardiologist who reaced teh conclusion there was nothing wrong with me from that perspective but acknowledged by suggested link with my monthly cycle and suggested if things didn't settle I go on the pill to stabilise me. It did settle a bit, I had no idea then I was peri, and I just kind of carried on.
Things then went along what now I can see as a fairly steady progression. Bouts of BV, loss of sex drive, vaginal dryness, flooding (had to switch to a menstrual cup), shortening of cycle, horrible menstrual flow, extreme tiredness, poor sleeping, night sweats, mood swings, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, feeling faint, debilitating headaches. I was aware for a couple of years I was definitely heading towards meno but finally went to the doctor when the anxiety side got really bad earlier this year.

The GP I saw listened, said she wasn't convinced it was menopause but that we'd do bloods see what they said and then probably try HRT to see what it did. I have had depression in the past and I had questioned whether it was that but the GP acknowledged that I felt it wasn't like that, my moods were like flicking a switch. My FSH was a bit high (late 20s) but not exceptional but she said she was going to give me the diagnosis of early menopause and put me on HRT. Just like that.

I feel a million times better, I had no idea hormones did so much to a woman and after seeing some of the struggles people have had feelI've been exceptionally lucky not to have to fight at a time when I had very little fight in me!

Dancinggirl

Re: I have been exceptionally lucky!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »

So good to hear there are some clued up GPs around.  As you get deeper into meno you may find you need to tweek the HRT a bit but you are clearly getting good advice and support and the HRt will protect your heart and bones for the long term  - it will help to stave off VA and bladder problems as well.  DG x

RedFraggle

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »

it will help to stave off VA and bladder problems as well.  DG x

If I need to "go" coughing and sneezing is still dangerous!   ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »

I've been lucky too. 

Hormones can cause complete havoc from day 1, sadly.  Dr Dalton did a lot with young women suffering pre menstrual syndrome, even going to Court to give Evidence of how hormones can over-take the 'norm'.  I know I had rages pre-bleed, as well as the awful nausea ……. plus extremely painful, clotty periods.  For years  :-\.

My GP has been really good, is interested in Womens' Health and has a wife and daughter - wonder often if they have any influence on his perception  ;)

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »

What a wonderful positive story! I wish there were more GP's like this! :)