Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Need for a bit more sensitivity....  (Read 17042 times)

Maryjane

Re: Need for a bit more sensitivity....
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:26 PM »

Menomale ......don't be told what to do by others , other than Admin which is Emma or Dr Currie.

I am English and very often you would think it was my second language. 😂

I don't proof read , and my fingers type quicker than my brain thinks. 🤔

Freckles

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:20 PM »

I think Elizabethrose deserves all the kudos, not me.
She provided a far more thoughtful and eloquent post than I did, which seemed to have resonated with many members.
But thank you anyway for the nice comments on mine.  :)

Tempest

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 08:58:53 PM »

I have friends of many nationalities, many of whom have excellent English as their second language. I on the other hand am woeful at learning other languages, and the German and French I learned in school is pathetically inadequate.  :(

I think in general there is a certain inbred arrogance (and I don't mean this in any way insultingly) that we almost expect other nationalities to speak English, and are rather lazy about learning other languages ourselves.

(I just know someone who is multi-lingual is going to come along any minute now and slap my wrist to prove me wrong though)! ;)

I delight in our differences, and love speaking to people of all cultures and learning about their experiences of all things. I'm also delighted that we have a new member from Brazil! There is so much that we can learn from each other. Anything that gets 'lost in translation' should be excused, as I can only imagine the crimes I would commit if I were even to attempt to be brave enough to join in discussion on a forum in a foreign language(!) :o

Welcome, Menomale. It truly is lovely to have you here and I hope you find us to be a friendly bunch. And please excuse OUR English. Sometimes it's not as good as it should be, especially when we're suffering from 'menopause brain'!

Dana

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2016, 11:31:32 PM »

Hi Menomale - I'm appalled that someone would actually PM you like that. Posters on MM need to remember that this is not purely a UK site. It is an international site, that just happens to be owned by a UK doctor. There are all sorts of different opinions and experiences expressed by the posters here, and because things are a certain way in one country, doesn't mean it will be the same in another country.

I'm Australian and, even though we share a common language with the UK, I'm sure sometimes my Aussie-isms may creep into my posts, but I would be absolutely disgusted if someone sent me a PM telling me what I can and can't say. There are also times where things are said on the forum, by a UK person, and I've been a bit confused by their meaning. It's just the way it is in the big wide world. Vive la différence!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]