Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estradot manufacturer problem  (Read 6336 times)

Goosieloosie

Estradot manufacturer problem
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:05:49 PM »

I put my prescription in yesterday for Estradot & Utrogestan  & have been told today that they haven't had any Estradot patches in since the end of April , she said there's a manufacturing fault but she was willing to give me Evorel in place of them but I've had Evorel before & they're huge compared to Estradot so then she offered me Femseven which are even bigger, don't stick well & my skin had a reaction to those when I used them. Anyone any ideas what I can do or if you're having problems sourcing them?? Luckily I do have about 6 week's left of my current ones.

Tempest

Re: Estradot manufacturer problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »

Sigh!!! I know!!! It's awful, isn't it? I may be a candidate for Estrodot (and am struggling with HRT in surgical menopause), but it seems the very patch size I may need - 50 - is the one that's just not available. I've phoned a few pharmacies to see if they know about this and most did. A couple checked via their supplier online and said they could still get 25, 37.5 and 75. I know how GP'S can be about cost, but if you're looking for 50's which I assume you are, is there any chance your GP would let you have a prescription to wear 2 x 25 in tandem, if this may suit you?

Goosieloosie

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »

Well according to my local Boots store they told me today that all size Estradot patches are unavailable  :-\ yes it is 50 that I require but they cannot get hold of any  :'(. I don't know what else to try, I like these as they stick really really well and are tiny  :-\

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »

Oh no!!! I hope it isn't going to be a supply problem right across the board now. I'm in Scotland, and as I say it seems to be just the 50's up here at the moment. This is so frustrating! I was warned of this by the Consultant at my Menopause Clinic a few weeks ago. He wanted to start these for me as I have skin issues (allergy) to adhesives. I vaguely remembered he mentioned Estraderm was being substituted by some. I'm not fully up with the different type of HRT patches just yet but I'd be interested to find out if this is a small patch too. I think he said it has reasonably good tolerability.

I was speaking to a pharmacist about this and she said in general,  we have something of a drug supply crisis in the UK at the moment. It seems the NHS is not prepared to pay the prices the drug companies want for their products, so subsequently the drug companies do not see the UK as a priority market as other countries are prepared to pay more to secure supplies. This is worrying, to say the least!

I really feel for you. Maybe have a good ring around and see if anyone has more info. or can get the 25's where you are. I hope if so that your GP will oblige so that you can continue to receive good relief. Good luck!

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »

I'm on Estradot, was meant to go to 50 but pharmacy accidently gave me 75 do I'm snipping a bit off

This has happened quite a few times with pharmacy saying they can't source them and I've only been on them a year

If it happens to me again I'm going to try Estrogel

Annie x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:44:43 PM »

I'm in Scotland & couldn't get Estradot 25. GP had to switch me to Evorel. It's  been ongoing for about 4 months now.

Goosieloosie

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »

It's ridiculous isn't it, from my bit of searching on here this seems to happen quite often with Estradot  >:(

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 11:09:41 PM »

My Boots chemist that is linked to our surgery never has It in stock.

I have been lucky as I have
managed to get it in our Sainsburys chemist. Now worried as they are being taken over by Lloyds chemist and I was told that they are under the Boots umbrella.
I am thinking of switching to Oestrogel as I get irritation from the patches and supply worries is another nuisance.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:12:27 PM by Tinkerbell »

Dana

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 11:41:30 PM »

I see these kinds of posts on MM from time to time and I do wonder if this is a local UK NHS problem, because I'm in Australia and I've never had any supply problems at all (touch wood). According to my package it's manufactured in USA and distributed here by Novartis.

I wonder if your NHS would be doing this kind of thing with other medications, or whether they regard HRT as not being as "essential" as say BP meds or ADs.

Goosieloosie

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 05:00:26 PM »

Well I emailed the manufacturing company (Novartis) last night  and they got back  me today, I will copy and paste what they sent me incase it's useful to anyone else:

With reference to your enquiry we had an interruption in supply but stocks of Estradot are now going back into our wholesalers AAH and Alliance, if the Boots are struggling to get It from them they can call Novartis  on 08457 419442 and we can supply stock directly to the pharmacy.

If you require any further information please contact us.

Regards

Customer Care
Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK Limited
200 Frimley Business Park
GB- Frimley/Camberley, Surrey GU16 7SR

So I have been in touch with my local Boots and they have rang them and my Estradot patches are being sent out to the Boots store via courier so I should have them within a couple of days! Result  ;)

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »

Yay for you and being so proactive!! That is brilliant news, well done! (This also gives me ammo when I go to see my GP/Meno Consultant, so thank you so much for sharing). ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:27:23 PM »

Wow - well done Goosieloosie!

In answer to maybe your question on another thread - I've only once had a problem with getting Estradot in the 9+ years I've been using it and that was probably 7 or 8 years ago!  I get given 3 months supply at a time and it's always been OK. I live in the SW and population is lower here unlike in urban areas so maybe that makes a difference?

If I did have a problem I would always ask for another strength and cut or double up rather than use Evorel or something similar - I only used Evorel for 3 months when I first started HRT and they are massive as you say!

Hurdity x

AuntyFester

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »

Hello ladies, also having a problem with the 50mg patches in the.midlands. Have had a part filled prescription waiting for the last 3 months for the pharmacy to get new stock. Dr has been great and am doubling up with 25mg. Only issue now is that they are only giving me a months supply at a time!! They have said this is standard for all prescriptions.....anyone else have this?

Tinkerbell

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »

My mums surgery have started this. It is a NHS decision to cut back on wasted prescriptions apparently.
My practice still gives two months supply, dreading them changing to every month as it is a hassle with prescriptions already.
On to the Estradot...supply problems in Hampshire too.

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »

I get my estradot on 3 monthly prescriptions, as I also have the Vagifem, the 2 inhalers, the spacer, the water tablets, the epipen ......!

Every so often they try their luck and give me one month

Annie X