Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel dosage  (Read 1396 times)

Tinkerbell

Oestrogel dosage
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »

So after a battle the other afternoon with doctor to get this prescribed I have finally got it. Apparently it is not something our surgery prescribes as patches are preferred. I have been having a problem with Estradot patches giving me really itchy skin, one suggestion of hers was to change to a different patch or wear it on my arm ::)
Anyway on the prescription it says two pumps a day, I was on 75mcg Estradot is this the equivalent...I think not. Also what time of day do I use it?

Joyce

Re: Oestrogel dosage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »

As far as I'm aware 2 pumps would be equivalent to 37.5 estradot patch. However, 2 pumps of oestrogel is often the recommended starting dose, increasing if necessary.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »

Tinkerbell - i would definitely start with 2 pumps per day as you may find it is more effective than the patches and you may not need more.  I always put it on inner thighs but do make sure the skin is clean and dry  - don't use moisturising washes or moisturisers on that area.
Morning or evening is fine - just let it dry for 10 mins before covering with clothes. Don't bath or have skin to skin contact with anyone else for about an hour after application. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »

Hi Tinkerbell - there is no exact equivalence. These are based on averages and women vary enormously in how much oestrogen they absorb - by a factor of 10 sometimes!! Some women achieve very high levels on 2 pumps - others not. The guidelines are usually low medium and high and as cubagirl says 2 pumps is the oestrogel starting dose.  Hope it works for you :)

Hurdity x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »

Thank you ladies, will go with the two pumps as suggested.
So hope it works better than Estradot, but I am not too hopeful.