Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Should I hrt?  (Read 2633 times)

Lynnjulia

Should I hrt?
« on: August 19, 2016, 11:15:34 AM »

Hi, first time post!

I'm 52, been going through peri for a few years, coping ok but now hot sweats are really cutting in, sleep disturbance etc! Nearly 7 months without a period, some breast cancer history (2 great aunts) but mother and grandmother clear (not sure how relevant this is).

My bad days seem to come in blocks, then I feel OK for about 3-4 days and think I don't need hrt but then it goes downhill again.

Any advice would be appreciated. Friends who are on it say I'm suffering unnecessarily - am I?

Dancinggirl

Re: Should I hrt?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Lynnjulia
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  It sounds to me that HRt would be your best option right now and the BC risk is very small at your age. It's worth giving HRt a go and see if it suits you - you've got everything to gain and nothing to loose.  DG x

Lynnjulia

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl,

That sounds like good advice to me.

Sometimes, you just want to hear someone else say it!

Live in a house full of men, it's not their fault but it's hard for them to understand what you are going through.

My GP is of the opinion you have to go through it and hrt is only putting it off to a later date, an interesting opinion but doesn't really help how I feel now!

Thanks again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »

:welcomemm:  GP a male then? or a badly informed woman?

Browse round.  Make notes.  If your GP is reluctant to offer discussion about HRT then ask for a referral to a Gynae or Menopause Clinic.  Maybe there is a Practice Nurse in the Surgery that is more clued up?

Lynnjulia

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »

Thanks CKLD,

It's a lady GP around 35ish, definitely not in the pro hrt camp!

I will take your advice and see if I can see someone else.

Thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 02:42:50 PM »

Her time will come  ;D -

HRT can ease symptoms - it's Hormone Replacement Therapy - ask your GP what the Replacement will be putting off? 

If the body is hungry, do we not eat?  So if the body lacks hormone, should we not support it, regardless of whether it's 'natural' or not!  It's called The Change - sort of tells it as it is  ::)

Dollydream

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 02:55:10 PM »

Hi Lynnjulia

I'm 51 and was at the same point as you last December when I took the plunge and started HRT.  The sleep disturbances and hot flushes were starting to get to me and having not had a period for 8 months saw my GP who prescribed HRT and it was like a weight had lifted - I could sleep again.  The only thing I would say is to go for sequential HRT and not continuous as you haven't gone 12 months without a period.  I was started on continuous as my GP thought I was not likely to have another period and it caused quite a lot of irregular bleeding, I've now changed to sequential (Femoston 1/10) and have a scheduled monthly bleed which is much easier to cope with.
I would just give it a go, you can always stop taking it if you don't get on with it. Go and see another GP if you can, you're entitled to a second opinion.  Good Luck.  :)

Dollydream x

Lynnjulia

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 03:15:38 PM »

Hi Dollydream,

It's so good to hear your experience and that you had a good outcome!

Already the advice I have been given has made me feel a lot more positive about going on to hrt. I think I have found the decision difficult as I have never altered my cycle my whole life as I've never been on the pill etc. I really believed I would be able to handle everything peri threw at me but I realise now I have to do something about it.

I will definitely ask about the sequential hrt.

Thanks for your advice. xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

Lynnjulia - your GP is quite wrong about delaying the menopause - just wait till she gets to your age, I bet she'll have a different view.  Nobody can tell you how long the meno symptoms will last - the average is between 2-7 years I believe and once you are deeper into post meno I have found the body adjusts better without HRT - you can reduce the dosage gradually if need be, when and if you decide to come off HRT. Quality of life is very important, many of us have to work till our late 60s now and coping with the lack of sleep and flushing all the time can be exhausting. 
HRT is now recommended as the first line of treatment - do look at the NHS website as there is a link to the new NICE guidelines (should be somewhere on MM as well) and your GP should be following these guidelines.  I am now 60 (had HRt since my late 30s when my meno started) and recently decided I shall now do without systemic HRT - I am finding the meno symptoms far less severe this time round so the delay nonsense should be ignored. I am still using local oestrogen to prevent vaginal atrophy and bladder problems and this will be for the rest of my life.
I would suggest you ask for Femoston 1/10 to start with as the progesterone is kinder and suits many women very well.  GPs tend to prescribe Elleste Duet(the cheapest HRT) to start with and the progesterone in this is harsher.
Do go armed with a print out of the NICE guidelines and also print out the peri meno treatment section from the top of this page so you can discuss this in a calm, yet firm way with this GP.  Simply say you are getting too tired and irritable coping with all the meno symptoms and having done some good research on this reputable site you wish to try this HRT to see if you can get your life back.
Here is the info on the HRT types for you: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Keep us posted  DG xxx

Lynnjulia

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 05:20:36 PM »

Thanks  Dancinggirl, this is exactly the summing up I was looking for from someone who has been through it!

This info will be a great help when I visit my GP and I will definitely be requesting the Femoston 1/10. I will have a look at the NICE guidelines over the weekend.

I am totally worn out with the hot sweats and can now see light at the end of the tunnel.

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Thanks xx

Dana

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 04:03:50 AM »

Thanks CKLD,

It's a lady GP around 35ish, definitely not in the pro hrt camp!

I will take your advice and see if I can see someone else.

Thanks.

HA! I wonder if her opinion will change in 10-15 years time. It's always very easy to say "OH NO!" to HRT - until you actually need it.

You might be one of the lucky ones and it might all pass you by fairly quickly, but then again "putting it off to a later date" sounds pretty good to me when a lot of women continue to suffer for 20 years with the damn thing.