Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sleep problems  (Read 2401 times)

lizzog

Sleep problems
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this?? During very hormonal parts of my life - eg- teens, before periods, and now in the menopause, occasionally I get a horrible sensation just as I'm dropping off to sleep I jerk awake with an enormous sense of panic, feel as if I'm dying (I know that sounds dramatic, but it really is frightening), and then this now is followed by extreme restless legs.  I had the mirena coil fitted for the second time in February, and have been pretty much bleeding on and off ever since.  I have Evorel Sequi 50 patch for oestrogen.
I'm about 10 years into my symptoms now, and feel really fed up with the whole thing as nothing really seems to change...
Anyone experienced this - and if so, do you know what causes it?  I just want some reassurance I guess, and also would really like to know what causes it!!!

Millykin

Re: Sleep problems
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »

I get this too, restless legs and the jerking just as I'm about to fall asleep, it's really getting to me just now. Sometimes I think I've stopped breathing! Don't have any clue what causes or helps it. Restless legs have plagued me my whole life.

Lesley2222

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »

I think these are called Hypnic Jerks and there is a wealth of information on line about them - unfortunately no real mention of a cure that I could find.  My sympathies, one of my employees suffers with them - we always know shes had a bad night because she is absolutely exhausted.

lizzog

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 01:01:45 PM »

Thanks - it's the feeling that you've stopped breathing as you say, Millykin, that is so terrifying.  I'll read up about Hypnic jerks - thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 02:44:25 PM »

Restless leg syndrome can be eased by eating LOTS of bananas ;-).  Sometimes I 'trip over a kerb' as I'm dropping off to sleep, enough to make the bed rattle  :o

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »

Interesting to read about this - as I have had these jerks from time to time (not restless legs though) - but only when I fall asleep on first going to bed. I agree they are quite alarming. I didn't know they had a name!

Hurdity x