Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: how do I get a scan and bloods done?  (Read 1870 times)

grumpyjane

how do I get a scan and bloods done?
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »

I know I know, it should be a simple as going to my GP and asking shouldn´t it?  ;D

So... I´ve been using 2 pumps gel and Utro 200mg vaginally for 7 months now. I usually get a reasonable bleed but this month I just had brown spotting - quite heavy on day 2 - that lasted 5 days. No red blood at all. I have been using a different brand of gel for a month as unable to get usual Estrogel. Would this make a difference?

I´m also about to start femseven conti as prescribed as I´m post meno (59)and don´t really need to bleed, I´m told.

As some of you may remember, I´m living abroad at the moment but will be in UK for a month in October. I´d like to sort out various issues, including whether I need a scan or blood tests. Should I get  a scan done? can I request on NHS? How long am I likely to wait? If I go private, what do I ask for , and where? Another confusing layer of meno to cope with, with brain fog too. Similar questions re the blood tests. Why would I need it and what do they test for?  :-\

Any advice please, or anyone had experience !

Thanks ladies x

RedFraggle

Re: how do I get a scan and bloods done?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:59:23 AM »

I might be wrong but i don't think bloods are any use if you're using HRT.
You won't get a scan on the NHS in a month unless you can get an urgent referral on a two week turnaround.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:55:52 AM »

If you can afford to, you can have this done privately, if you book ahead.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

Do you have a GP in the UK, if so ring the Surgery and ask?

grumpyjane

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:30:10 PM »

I´m beginning to realise that I´ll have to have a scan done privately, if I want one at all, but it is usual to check the lining of the womb periodically (no pun intended... ;D) to make sure the lining is not building up? I have had "normal" red-blood bleeds previous to this one. I don´t really want to take 100mg continuosly as 12 days a month is quite enough to cope with the mess and inconvenience. After the first few months the side effects have settled down and I feel ok - not great, but better. I´d like to try the patches as a conti regime as I don´t seem to be particularly intolerant to progesterone. I know this will be a different type ie. synthetic but I think I´d like to give it a go.

I´ll try and look for somewhere to get a scan done privately, and maybe even see a gynae too as dealing with the GP surgery is a bit of a battle. Yes, I do have a GP in UK CLKD. Will psyc myself up to ring again. I asked for a referral to a meno clinic back in June  (which has apparently been done) but no letter yet.  :-\

Jx