Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bladder infection without pain ?  (Read 6306 times)

Annie0710

Bladder infection without pain ?
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:32 PM »

I've been having trouble pee'ing for a couple of weeks, I seem to always need to go.  Sometimes I fully empty, other times I trickle after I have finished and other times (when I'm active on a day out for example) I can't empty, just a trickle then still a heavy bladder, the urine is smelling too now

So, seeing as though we're off camping Thursday for 3 nights I called surgery today to hopefully get some antibiotics, and had to wait for doc to call me back.  She called and said as there's no pain it doesn't sound like an infection and started asking questions, for just over a month now I have constant water retention in my left leg, and sometimes my right and now my arms feel a tiny bit tight, she asked about my bowels and about female family history (I don't have any history on the female side) she asked if I'd thought anything worse than an infection and I said no, I just think it's a mild, but annoying infection.  She wants me to take in a sample at 8.15 tomorrow morning and wants to do a thorough examination internally as she thinks it could be my ovaries ?

Should I be concerned ? i thought you could have a 'painless' urine infection

Annie x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bladder infection without pain ?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:18:43 PM »

An irritated bladder isn't an infection.  A urine sample should be sent to a Lab. as a dip stick quite honestly, won't show infection. 

If you have oedema: when you press your thigh does the area bounce back or is there a 'dip' in the skin?: it needs treating, probably with diuretics.  Have a list of questions to take to the appt.? and take note of the answers.

It may be that you need to alter your position when passing urine.  I find if I don't lean forwards I don't empty my bladder completely which makes it edgy …. and irritated.  I know it's not infection, been there, taken the ABs!

Ask if your GP thinks that Nurofen would ease the irritability, I have taken them successfully when I am aware of my bladder.

Do let us know how you get on!  Let us know in the Holiday thread where you are going ;-).

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »

Skin bounces back, it seems like it's just full of fluid, and feels tingly and really tight

I rock back and forth at the end of pee'ing as I don't seem to empty fully if I don't

I still think it's a mild infection that is interfering with my days, it's worse when I'm
Up and about, just annoyingly uncomfortable when sitting.  But I'm embarrassed by the smell now, it reminds me of a medicated smell that I've smelt on medicated toilet paper as a child

Annie x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:49:31 AM »

UPDATE:

took sample in, showed infection do on ABs

Put Vagifem back on repeats and said don't stop them again or let anyone stop them !

Got tablets for water retention

Blood test in the morning for CA125 or something (edit:just googled what it's for)

Will be getting a letter for a scan

Annie x
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:54:43 AM by Annie0710 »

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »

Just to say you can most definitely have an infection without pain.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »

I knew deep down you could MJ, doc threw me when she said it doesn't sound like it, I've had so many, some painful, some not, nice that I've got ABs now and won't keep feeling like I've got a full bladder

Annie X

booboo

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 01:44:10 PM »

Hi Annie

I been found to have urine/bladder infections with and without pain - my doctor told me it was quite common in meno due to lack/and falling oestrogen, hence makes us more prone and vulnerable .. I felt a bit reassured when she told me that, as after a full hysterectomy 18 months ago I am not sure what is normal or expected anymore - always anx about something it seems ..

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »

I looked up my notes online

As well as the infection she has diagnosed VA

Annie x

Evelyn63

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »

Annie, a lady I know gets dreadful UTI's but never has the stingy/cystitis type pain that I would get preceding an infection.  She just feels ill and has a raised temp, it always indicates an infection.

Im glad your GP has seen you and prescribed anti'b and also doing the CA125 test, she would be irresponsible not to, given the symptoms you describe.  Better to get properly checked out.  Good job getting the Vagifem though be warned, using it with an infection isn't easy ! I suffer from cystitis a lot and occasional UTI's brought on Im sure by coliform from my bowel .  Im prone to IBS and diarrhoea and sometimes get bugs passed from one area to the other !!  I find Waterfall Mannose excellent as an emergency , plus prophalactily as well, when I remember !

Enjoy your holiday .

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »

Aw thanks for your reply Evelyn

I'm restarting Vagifem after stopping quite a few months ago, it did stop the UTIs

she is being thorough, I can't knock her for that , it's the first time I've seen her but I'm confident it's just a UTI and nothing nasty

Annie x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »

Is she sending the urine sample to a Lab.? 

Fluid retention must be checked out, as it can signify a multitude of sins  :-\

Enjoy your holiday!

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 07:30:33 PM »

Is she sending the urine sample to a Lab.? 

Fluid retention must be checked out, as it can signify a multitude of sins  :-\

Enjoy your holiday!

I don't know if she's sending sample off but I've looked up my notes online and it says

Nitrite - positive
Leukocyte +++

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06:29 PM »

……. and  :-\

I'm going to see if I can access my notes  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 04:35:52 PM »

Hi Annie - I would think that it is the incomplete emptying of the bladder which is causing the infections. This can happen with prolapse - either your front or back wall of the vagina becomes weak and pushes inwards causing problems with emptying the bladder. It is possible to have infections without pain as I found out. It is good that you are on antibiotics and the vagifem will help but I would mention the possibility of mild prolapse to your doc. The fact that you have to rock backwards and forwards is also a sign that the exit route for the urine is not clear. Have a read here https://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/bladder/bladder-conditions-and-symptoms/urinary-retention/ 

I hope you feel better soon.

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

Hi Annie - I would think that it is the incomplete emptying of the bladder which is causing the infections. This can happen with prolapse - either your front or back wall of the vagina becomes weak and pushes inwards causing problems with emptying the bladder. It is possible to have infections without pain as I found out. It is good that you are on antibiotics and the vagifem will help but I would mention the possibility of mild prolapse to your doc. The fact that you have to rock backwards and forwards is also a sign that the exit route for the urine is not clear. Have a read here https://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/bladder/bladder-conditions-and-symptoms/urinary-retention/ 

I hope you feel better soon.

Taz x

Thanks Taz2, I had no internet to reply last night, I've returned today from our break with my scan referral through the door, I'm guessing a scan would show prolapse ? The doc didn't want to do an internal after the test came up positive for infection

I've had to stop the ABs after 3 days (she said see how I feel after 3 days) as they gave me awful palps and more agonising muscle cramps than I normally get, my big toe contorted to such an intense position and it went up to my calf, it wouldn't release for about 20 mins, scared the life out of me

Annie x
Pages: [1] 2