Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Clonidine  (Read 2848 times)

Dorymai

Clonidine
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »

Hi Ladies, I've not been on here for a while but wondering if anyone has been taking Clonidine for sweats for quite a while and finding they still work. I've just started on them, I'm 2 days in and find they seem to be working. I'm working up to taking 3 X 25mcg morning and night with no particular side effects other than dry mouth. I am so pleased to have found some relief from my terrible 3 to 4 times a night drenching night sweats and want to know if the relief tends to be short lived or not?  ???

Hurdity

Re: Clonidine
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:35 AM »

Hi Dorymai - your post seems to have got missed - sorry about that!

I am not familiar with Clonidine as I have never taken it, nor know anyone who has but I know it is used for relief of hot flushes, so hopefully someone will be along?

However I am wondering why you have been prescribed this for sweats as it is not supposed to be prescribed as the first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms - according to last year's NICE Guidelines. HRT should be given for this unless there is a medical reason why not?

Could you remind us how old you are and where in menopause re cycle length etc? Have you thought of HRT? Apologies if you've already said in the past but just wondering why you have been prescribed this now?

Glad you have found relief for the moment anyway - night sweats are so debilitating!

Hurdity x

Spadger

Re: Clonidine
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »

Hi Dorymai,
I was prescribed Clonidine last year on my first trip to the GP, I took them for a while & they did seem to work at first. Like you I had a really dry mouth (& dry eyes, which was a nuisance as I wear contact lenses!). I also have low blood pressure so had to be aware not to stand up too quickly etc, all this said I found that after a few weeks they did not seem to be working so well & I was then prescribed hrt. Hurdity is right, the guidelines are altered now & it may be worthwhile asking about hrt if you are able to take it? I was really against taking it but quality of life as well as the obvious benefits of replacing what we're lacking far outweigh the minimal risks in my humble opinion.
Love Spadger x