Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Prednisilone withdrawal  (Read 1470 times)

Chi chi

Prednisilone withdrawal
« on: August 12, 2016, 10:44:59 AM »

I have to take this along with antihistamines whenever I go abroad as I suffer with heat bumps/blisters. I'm prescribed 10mg a day usually for 2 weeks but I only take 5mg as I've found I get really bloated and constipated, I still do with 5 but not as much and the smaller dose does the trick with the rash.
I wondered if anyone knows if such a small dose would cause withdrawal symptoms? I usually just stop them but remember years ago a pharmacist told me I shouldn't and should taper off them.
I always feel really hot like I have a temp/fever (checked and don't) really really tired, headache (different to my usual) and unusual depressed mood. It's not that "wish I was back on holiday" feeling as I always can't wait to get back to normality!
Thanks  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Prednisilone withdrawal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »

It's a steroid ??? give your Pharmacist a ring and ask?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:28:54 PM »

Usually you don't just stop taking them but cut down gradually, this is much less of a problem for short term steroids and most people if only taking them for a couple of weeks can safely just stop them. I have friends who need them when their asthma is bad and they safely just stop them after a couple of weeks.
I am sure you know that the reason why you should not stop taking them suddenly if you have been on them for a long time is because your adrenal glands stop producing the hormones in response to the medication and they need to get back up to speed and this is why for long term use they slowly slowly reduce the dose because it is very dangerous to just stop them. But this is for long term use only.
My poor aunty who is in her mid 80's was wrongly prescribed them 5 years ago when misdiagnosed and she has never been able to stop them because her old adrenal glands didn't start working again so she is on 2mg a day now for good. This is due to her age and very rare.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 03:29:41 PM »

I've been thinking about this and vaguely remember that my Mum had to withdraw slowly - she had polymyalgia rheumatica and was given high doses initially ……….