Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi from Australia  (Read 2123 times)

Aussiewoman42

Hi from Australia
« on: August 13, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »

Hi, not sure if this is where I belong yet.

I am a 42 yr old, who has been having Symptoms of perimenapuse for quite a while now.

Never realised that is what the symptoms where, till I looked up " causes of heavy periods" and "menopause" popped up and I ticked quite a few boxes off the symptoms list.

Saw my dr this week for extremely heavy period bleeding. She did some blood tests and an pelvic ultrasound, plus an internal one - gee that was fun....NOT

Got the results and I have been referred to a gynaecologist for him to tell me what they mean.

Technician could only find one ovary and the measurements (L x 1.8cm,  H x 1.3cm, W x 1.4 cm) for a total volume of 1.8. I also have a "4mm endometrial stripe" or thickening. I asked was it cancerous, only to be told "not always".....totally NOt reassuring at all.

I have to wait two weeks to see the gynaecologist, so now is just a waiting game.

Regular dr has taken me off birth control, to see if my periods actually stop or what happens. She gave me a script for some medication to ease the bleeding too if it happens.

I just don't know what is happening. I am worried and scared. I am not getting any cramping or period pains.

Thanks for reading, so good to be able to tell someone, as these are not the things you just talk about over dinner.

babyjane

Re: Hi from Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »

hi and you are very welcome  :welcomemm:. No, I agree, probably not the best after dinner conversation starter but we are happy to chat.

I did also suffer with very heavy bleeding but I think it was because my thyroid was malfunctioning.  It's fine now and I did have a hysterectomy so I have not been through your problems.

That said you will find that there are plenty of ladies who can respond more helpfully than me so stick around and browse the threads, you are very welcome.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

:welcomemm: - firstly, why did you have Birth Control prescribed, if for the obvious, do use other methods! 

Browse round, make notes!  Some ladies find that keeping a food/mood diary helpful to chart symptoms because we can forget how bad we can feel on our 'better' days  ::)

Heavy bleeds can be relieved, the GP can prescribe a drug which helps.  It has a long name, of course meno-brain here can't remember ……..

Take a list of your symptoms to the Gynae appt. and any questions you need answers too.

We have a few ladies from Down Under ……….

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 09:02:07 PM »

Hi Aussiewoman42

:welcomemm: from me too :)

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »

Aussiewomen42 - welcome to MM
I had very similar things happen to me but I was in my mid 30s.  After investigations I was diagnosed as peri meno and put on HRT at 37.
I didn't think a 4mm womb lining was considered too thick!!! - the person doing the scan shouldn't have frightened you in that way >:(  In the peri stage it wouldn't be unusual to get a thickened lining anyway.  Do try not to get anxious about all this - you are doing all the right things to get reassurance and to make sure there truly isn't anything untoward going on. If you only have one ovary or your ovaries are packing up (premature ovarian failure) then you won't be producing enough progesterone and this can give erratic or heavy bleeding.
I do hope the gynae will reassure you and give appropriate treatment - if you are menopausal then HRT will be the best treatment to protect your heart and bones in the long term.  There are many reasons for heavy bleeding and it is rare that it is anything sinister, particularly when we get to our 40s and hormones start to play up.
Keep us posted.  DG xxx

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »

Hi, I'm 41, and I take BCP for early meno.  I can confirm that bleeding does vary hugely, and I also get menopausal symptoms, although these are very much 'damped down' when I am taking the pill, but come out in full force once I'm on my break (e.g. I feel 'hot' when I'm taking the pill, but get full on hot flushes when I'm on the break)  Try not to worry - it sounds like this could well be peri playing havoc with your hormones in spite of the pill - it does happen.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 04:00:44 PM »

Keep browsing!  Don't forget the time lapse but there's usually someone around - we have a thread 'Who is still up?" …… if all else fails  ;)