Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone feel like a jittery heart with utrogestan  (Read 2017 times)

Michelle46

Anyone feel like a jittery heart with utrogestan
« on: August 12, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »

Hi ladies
I've only been on here a couple of times. I use 2 pumps of gel for my estrogen and days 14 to 28 I take 100mg of utrogestan orally. I've noticed a couple of days after taking utrogestan I feel all jittery in the chest. It's like my body is geared up. Any advice would be welcome x

Anglichanka

Re: Anyone feel like a jittery heart with utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:00:36 PM »

Funny you should say that: today I've had horrible anxiety, panic, as well as the usual depression I get when I start the utrogestan. I'm wondering whether to try to take it vaginally. I'm on 50 mcg estradot for oestrogen (continuous) and 200mg utrogestan days 15-26. I never look forward to the utrogestan period.

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »

Anglichanka, I'm not surprised you are having problems with that high dose of Utrogestan.  In my opinion, that is far too much to be taking with a 50mcg patch (full stop actually) and you should definitely be using it vaginally for two reasons.  Firstly, you can get away with using less that way because most of it reaches the womb and therefore works better at clearance/thinning and secondly, it has fewer side effects when used vaginally.  You can lose up to 50% in your digestive system when you take it orally. 

I don't like Utrogestan at all but it is the lesser of several evils for me.  I can just about stomach it if I take 100mg vaginally for 7 days every 5 weeks - I don't have a choice, it's either that or a hysterectomy. 

If I were you, I would halve that dose to 100mg, use it vaginally (although you will actually be getting about the same dose by using it vaginally instead of orally) and cut back to 10 days.  Depending on how you feel, you could cut back further to 100mg for 7 days each month but I would recommend you have regular scans to make sure you are getting proper clearance.

Nina

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »

Mary G I can see that you are knowledgeable regarding hrt and offer great support. I feel though I must point out that you aren't qualified to give such advice as you do regarding for example dosage of utrogestan. Licensed prescribed dosages are such for a reason, and it's not for us on a public forum to encourage anything else.

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:21:02 AM »

Mary G did say.... in her opinion and she recommended having a regular scan, if using less than the prescribed dosage, with Utrogestan, it is very much trial & error and never a case of one size fits all.... so I do not think it was irresponsible advice, I agree in perhaps trying 100mg for 12 days per mth but do have regular scans if you are going to go that route. All the best.