Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Synacthen Test 11th Aug 2016 (tomorrow)  (Read 2873 times)

Linda57

Synacthen Test 11th Aug 2016 (tomorrow)
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:03:16 AM »

As you know I joined yesterday, I am hypothyroid and my levels are now in range.  I saw the endo 2 weeks ago and he wants to do a synacthen test tomorrow because I'm still 'crashing' and really tired.  Do any of you know what he is looking for - he did say but my meno brain has forgotten!  Something to do with cortisol.

Will this test bring my palpitations on too?  I do want this test and hubby is taking me but am a little scared.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:39:02 AM by Linda57 »

Ju Ju

Re: Synacthen Test 11th Aug 2016 (tomorrow)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:58:17 AM »

I've had this test done. It was no big deal. You need something to read! It involves a blood sample taken at the beginning, then a chemical through a cannula, then a blood sample taken an hour later. You can read up on this on the patient website for eg. There should be a nurse around if there was any problem. And if your DH is with you, great. I went on my own, but it would have been rather nice to have someone to talk to.

Linda57

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:14:14 AM »

I've had this test done. It was no big deal. You need something to read! It involves a blood sample taken at the beginning, then a chemical through a cannula, then a blood sample taken an hour later. You can read up on this on the patient website for eg. There should be a nurse around if there was any problem. And if your DH is with you, great. I went on my own, but it would have been rather nice to have someone to talk to.

Thanks Ju Ju, will def take a book.  I suppose it's the thought of these tests that are worrying, I prob be fine once it's actually being done.

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »

Hi
My daughter had this test done two months ago to test the adrenal glands function. It went flawless, no worry at all. I think blood is taken three times - at 0min, 60 min and 90 min, but I could be wrong.
Milamam

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »

Milkman may be right. It's probably 3 years since I had it done, so I can't remember.

Linda57

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »

Well, test over and done with.   She tried to get the cannula in one arm, couldn't so did the other ! They couldn't of been two more miserable nurse on duty today in that treatment room.  They said hubby couldn't come in with me as there wasn't enough chairs - there was only me in there ! ::)

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 12:19:22 PM »

Well done Linda.  :).  Glad it went well for you. My Son had to have this test a while ago but he said it was horrible when they put the liquid in the canula he went weird and felt like he was dying! Needless to say he wasn't and the results were fine but we never found out why he reacted that way.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:19:50 PM »

Well done. I had this test done about 8 years ago - I am needle phobic so you can imagine how much I was looking forward to 3 blood tests and they have trouble getting blood off me but thankfully all went well and I felt fine.   Mine was in normal range. They are looking for Addisons disease of the adrenal glands so its good that thsi has been discounted.

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »

Well, test over and done with.   She tried to get the cannula in one arm, couldn't so did the other ! They couldn't of been two more miserable nurse on duty today in that treatment room.  They said hubby couldn't come in with me as there wasn't enough chairs - there was only me in there ! ::)

How mean! When I had mine done, there was another woman there with her husband.

Linda57

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »

The nurse did say that this test can be a bit of a shock to the system.  Well I'm shattered, didn't like it at all, got some funny sensation in my tummy (they said I might).  I NEVER want to go through that again - ever. Will take me a while to 'recover' if you know what I mean.  When we got home I just burst into tears.

Re hubby coming into the treatment room, she said 'Oh there is only standing room and there is not enough room'.  I said 'my hubby would stand next to me all day'. Didn't get a response to that!

God I'm fuming.  :valkyrie: :diablo:

Linda57

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:40:44 PM »

Hi
My daughter had this test done two months ago to test the adrenal glands function. It went flawless, no worry at all. I think blood is taken three times - at 0min, 60 min and 90 min, but I could be wrong.
Milamam

Hi Milamam
9:40, canulla in, blood taken
9:45 saline and then cortisol
10:15, blood taken
10:45, blood taken
10.50, I escaped ! ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »

This reminds me of the icy feeling the GA gives as it travels up the canula into the back of the hand  ::) then I don't remember anything else.

Maybe discuss that lack of empathy with your GP!  The medical profession should all have a week in 'that' bed B4 being let loose on the public  :bang: :bang: :bang: ………

Linda57

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »

Maybe discuss that lack of empathy with your GP!  The medical profession should all have a week in 'that' bed B4 being let loose on the public  :bang: :bang: :bang: ………

Good idea, will do so, and with the endo at the hospital next time I see him as he arranged the test at the hospital.  Don't know when I'll see him next, only saw him 3 weeks ago but it'll keep CLKD