Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 4257 times)

booboo

Here we go again
« on: August 11, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »

Had a full hysterectomy 18 months ago - now i am not sure where any of my bits are or what is normal anymore ..
My bowels seem to be more sensitive - ie gas/wind and do not always seem to fully empty and certain foods create all sorts groans,rumbles etc - not sure if i have a touch of IBS or not .. Was experiencing uncomfortable cramping and spasm like pain lower down in left side of abdomen for four days and went to the chemist for some IBS remedy thinking it may be that & when it did not seem to help my head started working overtime ( as it does) so went to docs and had a urine test which revealed an infection so now on antibiotics.. Doc sent test off to hospital just to double check - but now i am struggling with the health anx and hoping its not something more sinister.... I dread every ache and pain - & feel like i am visiting the docs every few months and was never like this before meno.. :-\

Tempest

Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

First of all, hugs!!! I'm a total hysterectomy lady too (do you have ovaries still, btw)?

I can honestly say that the ups and downs (or maybe just downs if you're BSO too with no HRT), of hormones really do mess with your tummy and bowels. I can't digest things like I used to, and have to watch that I don't eat and drink gassy making things or I would float to the ceiling (or worse)! ;)

And UTI'S are no picnic too! I won't tell you why I can't take the favourite antibiotic for treating UTI'S, but I did have a big chat with a Consultant because of my difficulties and he did say in my case that most UTI'S if they are mild will clear if you drink enough water. But, if for YOU and it's a corker, I'd just start the course. Our bacterial flora in our lady bits and water works change too so we need to be a bit more careful about weeing when we need to instead of holding it in, etc.

Try not to worry too much. I know it's hard, but really I'm sure you are going to be just fine. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:29:28 PM »

You paid into the NHS though ? so use it ;-).  Your GP is being thorough in sending the urine sample to a Lab. so that the correct AB can be prescribed.

Could it be the start of vaginal atrophy? might be worthwhile suggesting it if the GP doesn't - we have threads here about that  ::).

I am sure that ladies will be alone - Taz in particular is knowledgeable, maybe look at her profile and see her comments or do a 'search'?

:foryou:

booboo

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »

Thank you Tempest - no I don't have my ovaries, the whole lot was taken & I am not on hrt or anything other than Ad's - I started taking the 7 day course as apart from the cramp/spam like ache, I was urinating more - so hopefully it is just an infection...
When I Had my hysterectomy I never had any or was given any info on what to expect - just left in the dark ....I suffered with endometriosis & as a consequence experienced chronic period pain for two days out of every month for 15 years prior to meno - & then a cyst developing on my ovary made me make the decision to just get rid of all my reproductive bits that had not served me well ( unable to have kids also).. Now I am wondering did I make the right choice ..

Yes Ckld - you are right re NHS - I should not feel awkward re reg visits to gp.... Just sick of all this stuff

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Of course, it's tiring - getting a symptom, wondering if it will go on it's own, wondering if it needs a consult ……

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »

Hi boo boo - I had a total hysterectomy (womb and cervix) just over two years ago and my bowel still hasn't recovered. It was explained to me that when the uterus is removed it leaves a space which the bowel "falls" into. Sometimes it falls well and at others it falls awkwardly which can give rise to different digestive symptoms. Scar tissue can build up too which causes pain. I get what feels like a period type of cramping still which seems very strange without a uterus there! I do get relief from Buscopan for the cramps. It sometimes feels as if I have no control over what my bowel is doing - the body sort of takes over and if it wants to "go" then it has to go there and then. I have had some support from the hysterectomy association Uk forum - have you tried them?

I haven't had much help from my GP to be honest. I really don't think the medical profession has a good idea of the symptoms some women experience after hysterectomy. My gynae consultant was adamant that all recovery would have taken place by the twelve week mark but I really didn't begin to feel more comfortable until at least a year. I'm not sure whether you were given any advice?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »

As an aside Taz - did you go back and have a moan at the Surgeon?  If they aren't told, they won't know how well patients actually get on!

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »

I had hysterectomy in '99 at age 32 due to total prolapse, kept my ovaries but suffered ovarian failure within 6 months

I started with IBS, it's changed over the years, I don't get the debilitating cramping anymore but get the trapped wind under left rib, bloating and diarhhoa and constipation

Oh and since meno I'm plagued with UTIs , at the moment I'm dealing with I can pee one moment then I can't, then I trickle, then I pee etc

Nightmare
Annie x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »

Annie - R U having UTIs - is your GP sending off urine samples for testing in a Lab..  You may have said already elsewhere  :-\ but how about locally applied oestrogen ……… ?

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 06:21:01 AM »

Oh and since meno I'm plagued with UTIs , at the moment I'm dealing with I can pee one moment then I can't, then I trickle, then I pee etc

Nightmare
Annie x

Have you had this checked out Annie to make sure that something else isn't prolapsing. It's all so annoying isn't it?

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 06:32:01 AM »

My hysterectomy was because of total prolapse so I've sometimes wondered, I refused the bladder lift at the time of hyster as I'd heard bad things about them

Started Vagifem last year because of constant UTIs and stopped it just before Xmas but still had them here then few weeks ago nurse scrapped them off my repeats as she said I was too 'oestrogened up' so lowered my patch to 50mcg but I've started Vagifem loading again and seeing doc this morning with sample

Annie x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 06:46:00 PM »

Topical oestrogens don't affect the over-all effect of any other HRT and I find it hard to believe that a Nurse would consider taking a patient off something that works ……… I do wonder too, why patients agree to stopping treatments that are easing symptoms  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:00:13 PM »

Topical oestrogens don't affect the over-all effect of any other HRT and I find it hard to believe that a Nurse would consider taking a patient off something that works ……… I do wonder too, why patients agree to stopping treatments that are easing symptoms  :-\

I stopped the Vagifem as I doubted I had VA, crazy thought in hindsight but then the nurse said my oestrogen levels of 774 were way too high and that Vagifem was adding to it, by then I was fed up of arguing so didn't say anything when she said she's taking it off my repeats

But I'm in the middle of loading doses and will carry on for life now.  The doc today has put on my notes that I have VA and put Vagifem back on repeats

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »

Once again - a medical practitioner who is not sufficiently knowledgeable and causing you - a patient - discomfort due to this. I agree your oestrogen levels are high but if you have VA, you have it - and only local oestrogen can alleviate it for some women. This is well recognised!

Hurdity x