Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: The Post Menopausal Ovary Is Primarily An Androgen Producing Gland  (Read 1809 times)

Tempest

So says detailed research published in The Oxford Journal (sadly, I can't link to the article here).

I'm thinking this is no surprise to you all, but what the research goes on to say is that this Androgen activity actually converts a 'small' amount into estrogen. And they do mean small!

This is important news for us all who are in surgical menopause and feel bereft at having lost our ovaries. It's not quite as grim as we thought, I feel. Yes, we have lost 50% of our testosterone producing capacity (the remaining 50% is produced by the adrenals). And I feel this also explains why we feel rotten when we are 'estrogen bombed' with high doses of ERT - the balance is seriously out of whack, and I feel that we do indeed become 'estrogen dominent' and thus feel rotten UNLESS we receive sufficient testosterone replacement.

This, I think, is cruel in the case of us surgical ladies and why we often don't do well on ERT and quit it altogether. I know Professor Studd at least has no qualms about prescribing both ERT and TRT at the same time, and tweaking as he goes along to find a good dose that ladies feel good on, but the policy within the NHS is to bomb us with ERT and only give us TRT if we complain of loss of libido specifically. I strongly believe this has to change. I am doing my research to find a solution to my own surgical menopause dilemma (trying to be proactive after a very nasty recent experience with ERT recently). In doing so, I searched these boards for posts by ladies in surgical menopause to see how many ladies were doing well, and it was rather grim reading in the main. Mostly, I read posts from ladies struggling and in many cases, after only a few posts they didn't post any more or left these forums completely. I am sad to think they have given up and have received rotten treatment after their surgery from the NHS.

If anyone on these forums has good news on how they are feeling after a good while following BSO, I would be glad to hear it. And if anyone else has any thoughts, I'd love to hear those too. I know Hurdity always says us ladies who are in surgical menopause may not be feel better until we receive TRT as well as ERT, and I have come to release that she is very knowledgeable and thoughtful about all things Menopause!

I also very much hope that Dr Heather Currie gets to read this, as it's excellent doctors like her who can take up the silent voice of women like me to those that matter within the NHS to help to implement change so that we receive HRT that addresses our needs and gives us a better quality of life.

Thank you for reading!😊

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The Post Menopausal Ovary Is Primarily An Androgen Producing Gland
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »

:thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:17:18 PM »

Thanks for posting Tempest - and also for your kind words - but I'm only going on what seems to be to be general knowledge and is written on this site (by Dr Currie herself!) - see below. I just happen to have remembered it!

Role of testosterone after hysterectomy

If the ovaries are removed at the time of hysterectomy, as well as the estrogen level falling, there is also a 50% decrease in testosterone production. Some doctors recommend testosterone replacement along with estrogen replacement; testosterone helping energy levels, mood and libido. However testosterone replacement does not seem to be required by all and the ideal route and dose of testosterone for women is still being researched. It is therefore not routinely recommended following removal of the ovaries but can be considered for some women who do not fully benefit from estrogen replacement alone.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/testosterone.php

My gynae GP suggested that some women's T production is "ovary led" and in others "adrenal led". Not sure where she got this info from - but she said that those women who are affected by ovary shutdown at menopause or their removal after BSO and who experience symptoms (such as libido loss amongst others) - had their T production as "ovary led". Those whose T production is more from the adrenals would not notice the loss of libido (and other symptoms?) at menopause (and maybe not after BSO?) to quite the same extent. This is a fairly broad statement but what Dr C says above seems to reflect this too - ie T replacement doesn't seem to be required by all.

To me it is outrageous that the only T replacement licensed for women (apart from implants) - the Intrinsa patch - was withdrawn - leaving GPs to prescribe off licence - which many are resistant to. I think the T implant is still available? Chi Chi had one I think? Here is some info:
http://writehealth.co.uk/testosterone-implants-available-in-the-uk/

Dr Annie Evans also told me that in many cases the temptation is to increase oestrogen if symptoms are not resolved - even in post-menopausal women who still have their uterus and ovaries - when a little testosterone will go a long way. It really should be given routinely as part of HRT for women following BSO, and all post-meno women with decreased libido - but until proper research, product availability and licensing I can't see this happening.

You will see from the article about T implants that the British Menopause Society ( of whch Dr Currie is Chair) - already intervened about this.

Bit of a ramble and I know you really want to hear from member with TAH and BSO so hopefully someone will be along....! Moonbeam is one such I know.

Hurdity x

Meg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 01:23:39 AM »

I am so distressed that at this stage in the early 21st century we seem to have little knowledge about the role of ovaries post menopause or after removal.  Much of women's physical and emotional health hinges on these two small glands and how they work but by and large we seem to be very let down even now. Women's health can be so badly affected by the menopause which occurs on average at the tender age of fifty, for many earlier.  Much more needs to be done in the area of both menopause and andropause but with the NHS in such difficulties I am doubtful if research will come through in this country, but hope I am proved wrong.  I think I read about a drug trial for a new treatment for the very debilitating symptom of flushing which I think was taking place at one of the hospitals in London but a treatment would not be forthcoming for several years which is very depressing!