Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Pill or patch best?  (Read 4024 times)

Peroxideblader

Pill or patch best?
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »

Hello I am thinking about starting hrt aa from my symptoms over the last 2 years I think I'm going through perimenopause I did post some months back as a newbie.  My doctor gave me elleste duel but I am terrified to take it. My question is when I go back to see her in September ( to change the hrt) I want to know if to ask for a patch or tablet format.  I am a smoker sadly and I'm very prone to extreme sude effects on any medication and having read so much on here it seems the patches are better for their effect and safer for smokers. If so can anyone recommend a patch or gel I have periods but every 21 days from 28 and lighter I'm 47 and although I have most of the horrible peri symptoms my insomnia of 3 years is affecting me the most I just can't get to sleep til 3 or 4 am every night. I prefer a tablet and have been told to try a different pill to elleste one with a more gentle progesterone.  But what patch do I try and how do they work...I want yo be armed with information before I go see my doctor thank you  :)

dazned

Re: Pill or patch best?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »

Think that I might have replied on your original post ,anyway...

Everyone is different as you might have already gather on here ,what suits one wont another,its all trial and error unfortunately  ::)
I m a smoker and my first hrt was elleste duet and it was brilliant for me was on it for years. Others will say that its no good. No one can categorically say whats going to suit you  ;)

Peroxideblader

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »

Thank you...did you try a patch as well to see if one is better than other ...elleste seems to be bad for weight gain more than others did you find that and did it help with sleep  :)

dazned

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »

No didnt try a patch as I felt great just taking my tablets so I never felt the need to experiment. Sleeping improved slightly ,but as quite a few on here will testfy insomnia can still be problematic not matter which hrt you are on. As we get older we dont need as much sleep,we are somewhat less active  etc. I think maybe get lots of fresh air,more brisk walking would help . A whole new approach needs to be applied to so many things diet,relaxation ,time out etc,its called the change for a reason and we need to adapt and change with it. Unfortunately we cant turn the tide back as much as we all would love to. ::)

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 08:35:21 PM »

I would try Oestrogel.  I have tried patches (didn't like having it stuck to my backside) and tablets but could never get enough oestrogen out of them.  I also like the flexibility of the gel because you can easily adjust the dose and get the levels up quickly if you need to. 

I don't see why being a smoker would make any difference though, I enjoy a smoke sometimes and soak up the gel like a sponge!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »

I'm a patch gal myself and always have been! They work well for me from late peri-menopause (mid 50's ish) to now in early 60's. There are combi patches but unfortunately one of them Evorel sequi/conti contains the same progestogen as Elleste - but you may well tolerate it as lots of women do.

The other one is Femseven sequi/conti - which have a different progesotgen.

All the preparations are here (scroll down for patches):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Otherwise as Mary G suggested you can use either an oestrogen patch or oestrogen gel with separate progestogen such as utrogestan ( progesterone) or Provera - all listed under Treatments/HRT preparations above.

Hurdity x

RedFraggle

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 06:31:50 AM »

I'm 43 and wasn't offered a patch. I'm on femoston 2/10.
I was a bit worried as I never got on with the combined pill and expected similar problems but it's been fine. I also smoke.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »

Thank you..femoston is the one a few friends recommended for the least sude effects starting on the 1/10 ..but one piled on weight the other no difference ...I already diet and have upped my exercise since I hit mid 40's and my tummy is fatter and gaining weight much easier despite a lot more exercise..I am worried about the weight gain on femoston did you have any and Any other bed effects and what we're the good effects thanks

RedFraggle

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:41:23 AM »

I'm on the 2/10. It's got rid of all the anxiety and mood swings and the feeling faint and palpitations. Most of the night sweats have gone, but if I have too much wine I get them and I get a couple around the end of the white pills when I also get cramp in my feet but not as badly as a few years ago she I was peri but didn't realise.
Not put on weight but my boobs have got bigger, never having really had any I'm quite pleased with that! I've been on it six months.