Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Ablation? Have you had this done?  (Read 3406 times)

flufferama

Ablation? Have you had this done?
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:54:45 AM »

Has anyone had this done and did it have any positive or negative effects?

My gynae suggested this to me the last time I saw him in January. I have (well, until this month) regular, short but heavy periods and large clots. No flooding thank goodness but because until now I have been using oestrogen patches on their own for approx 10 days per month he's aware of the risk of thickened lining. I do have a polyp which was spotted during a quick scan at my last appointment.

To be honest I listened to his suggestion and didn't think about it much afterwards because I was doing very well until very recently.

I am due back to see my gynae in a few weeks and he will most likely ask me if I want to have this done.

I suppose given a very recent slide into a very bad place with anxiety and low mood I am fearful that an ablation would make things worse, or is that a crazy idea given that it just affects the physical body as opposed to my mental health?

dazned

Re: Ablation? Have you had this done?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »

I think that there two different views about blation.

I haven't had one but my private gyne mentioned it as very last resolution as he said once you have had an ablation it lays down scar tissue which can make seeing/finding any future nasties difficult and therefore easy to miss catching early so he was reluctant to go down this route for this reason.

dangermouse

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

My sister had it done last year and is feeling much better for it. She had endometriosis when younger and had to use IVF for her pregnancies. She is 49 and had bleeding problems and severe PMT and the ablation has completely stopped her periods and she is also finding her moods are a lot better. Although the ovaries shouldn't be affected, she believes (and had read) that the brain senses the change in the womb lining and calms everything down.

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:17:35 PM »

This is something that I have looked into myself.  It would be very interesting to hear from anyone who has had this procedure post menopause and is also using HRT.  From my limited research on the matter, it would appear that you do still need to use progesterone but I assume it would mean no ensuing bleed. 

I have often wondered if some of us could benefit from an ablation. 

ClaraBee

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:29:43 AM »

Yes, I had a Novasure ablation and hysteroscopy under GA aged 42 after a premature meno (38) and continuous (light) bleeding for almost a year.
I have mixed feelings about the ablation,  yes it worked wonders in stopping the bleeding but then what I can only describe as threw my body and hormones into shock, it was only after 3 years post op that I was finally able to say that I felt like the old me again.
And yes, if on hrt you do need progesterone. After trial and error I am currently on 3 pumps estrogel daily plus 100mg utrogestan taken every other night, an unusual regime but works for me in keeping me stable and consultant was happy with this.
From what I understand about the ablation,  it can cause problems for any future gynae ops if needed. Hope this helps x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »

Hi Clara
The ablation has been mentioned to me too by a gyny. Can I just ask? Did you feel worse hormonally after the ablation than before it? Oh dear, that doesn't sound very good, it's sort of put me off.
Thanks

ClaraBee

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »

Far far worse. Didn't even know I was going through meno until after the ablation,  naive I know but doctors failed to mention it or I chose to ignore it. After the op I took 2 weeks off work instead of the suggested couple of days, and even then I struggled on for months. Looking back I realise now that I must have been hell to live with.
Good luck with your decision, I'm sure many ladies are very happy with an ablation,  unfortunately for me it wasn't so easy x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

OMG - because I am peri, I'm worried that it'll make me worse too. Right now, that's not needed at all. Also I have fibroids, and it's not guaranteed to sort out heavy periods for someone with fibroids. So glad I didn't go for the op now.

Gosh I'm hard to live with as it is...

Spangles

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »

Initially it was good but then my hormones went haywire. My peri really kicked in and all the nasties that go with it. I had mine 4 yrs ago, ohowever it did calm the bleeding xXx

Babsm67

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »

Oh dear, I have been reading this thread with interest as I am due to have an assessment for this at the end of next month & was thinking 'at last, no more heavy periods without the risk of using the coil'.  The mini pill sent me haywire when I was younger.  My fibroid was found a year ago & was said to be small but, now, after being seen by someone else last month, they need to know exactly where it is (don't know what happened to my scan results from last year which would have shown the location?). If it is in 'the corners' of the uterus, I have been told the ablation will be pointless as the fibroid will not be able to be removed.  I cannot risk having my current hormonal upheaval made any worse for the sake of my family & my mental health (cycles now starting to lengthen after 3 years of shorter cycles & occasional flooding).

Spangles

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

Hi
I also have fibroids, one which is 6cm, incredibly painful but they said they could blast the fibroids to break them down or do an ablation. They also said that they wouldn't know until I was Andre and they could 'have a look'. I asked for both but they said no. When I came round they had done an ablation and the fibroids are still there. The ablation didn't stop my period but it did make them more manageable and also my anaemia improved. Like I said earlier though it sent my hormones haywire.
Hope you get sorted soon.
xXx