Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: nausea should I reduce oestrogel  (Read 3228 times)

Jinja

nausea should I reduce oestrogel
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:09:06 PM »

Hi still new to this hrt thing and still getting confused by it.  My question this time is should I try reducing my oestrogel to 1 pump. My first month went OK I'm on 2 pumps with a mirena. Then a couple of weeks ago I had some spotting around the time my period was due not a problem better than the heavy periods I use to have but now 2 weeks later I'm back to slight spotting but also nausea has come back, this is the symptom I hate the most. Im going on holiday next week and really don't want it spoilt.
I was wondering if the nausea could be due to too much oestrogen especially if my own hormones have surged. The nausea tends to start in the morning and is usually gone by tea time so I'm also wondering if it might be worth applying the gel in the evening rather than morning?
I hope some of you experienced ladies may have some advice
Thanks
Jinja

dangermouse

Re: nausea should I reduce oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »

I'm not experienced with Oestrogel but I know quite a bit about the nausea as I suffered very badly. I believe it is caused by the oestrogen surges and I used the combined contraceptive pill to over-ride my cycle as much as possible in order for them to stop. I suspect the same can be achieved with Oestrogel.

I think the surges are caused by the brain registering a fall in oestrogen which then causes it to panic and push the ovaries to throw out more oestrogen causing nausea in some women. If you have enough oestrogen from your gel then it may stop the surges so having more would seem to be the best option in my opinion. I don't think the timing of when you use the gel is so important in this case, as you want to build up enough oestrogen for the natural falls not to register. My nausea was always better by the evening and I think this is due to adrenaline levels naturally falling at that time, which tie in with the whole process of over-stimulation.

It took me about 8 days for the nausea to stop with the pill and, at first, made the nausea much worse as it was initially just adding to the problem until the levels had built up. So you could try either option, more pumps to control the cycle and calm the brain from shunting more out, or 1 pump may be enough for what you need but not too much to add to the natural oestrogen surges to cause nausea.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »

Nausea can be down to a number of things.  Sometimes it's hormonal but I doubt reducing your dose of Oestrogel will help.  I do make sure I start my day with a nice piece of toast and honey or my stomach will play up - just as it did when I was in early pregnancy.
Perhaps try a small glass of milk and a biscuit before you go to bed so you aren't too empty in the morning.   Eating small amounts often is a good strategy generally.
You could be getting fluctuations of hormones but it's early days and things take 3-6 months to settle. DG x

Jinja

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »

Thanks dangermouse it's just so confusing isn't it. Maybe I'll try 3 pumps then, I have found in the last couple of days as it's got warmer that I'm getting overly hot again not complete flushes but my face has felt very flushed
Thanks dancing girl I always have breakfast might have porridge tomorrow to really fill me up. Exercise usually works really well for me but with the kids bring off school it's harder to get to the gym although we have been doing a lot of Pokemon hunting