Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Peri-Menopausal & Weight Gain  (Read 2364 times)

DebbieC

Peri-Menopausal & Weight Gain
« on: August 09, 2016, 07:20:57 PM »

Hi All

I'm a newbie to the site, I'm 45 and found out earlier this year that I was peri-menopausal which they think was brought on by an 11 hour 3 stage corrective spinal surgery for a congenital  and degenerative spinal condition (spondyliothesis) last year.

I take the mini pill to stop my periods as this exacerbated my back problem.  My rehab was going great but in the last few months my walking has had to be cut right back due to new problems and now a hip problem.  I've put on 3 stone since I had my op in March 2015.  I joined Slimming World and managed to lose 9lbs over 5 months..but then it started creeping up again so thought I'd head back to WW as I'd lost weight via them before..but again initially lost 4lb and then within 3 weeks it was back again + more. I then decided to try SW again but am now even heavier than when I started last August.

I can't really exercise again so am feeling incredibly low as I've always struggled with my weight (recovering bulumic) and whatever I do I can't seem to lose this weight which I'm also concerned will start affecting my spinal condition.

I really could do with some help and advice...thanks so much x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Peri-Menopausal & Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »

:welcomemm:  it always amazes me that Surgeons don't follow up patients in 'the round' after surgery !  i.e. he/she should be giving advice regarding rehabilitation, weight control, physio etc.. 

'they' being who exactly?  Why would 11 hours of surgery bring on peri-menopause  :-\.  You were probably 'at' that age  ::).

When did you GP last runs full blood count to include thyroid function test?  A thyroid problem can cause weight gain/loss.  Might be worth while having a chat to see if that might be a reason?

Ann64

Re: Peri-Menopausal & Weight Gain
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »

Hi Debbiec
I am 46 and have been told I'm in peri stage so I think it could be your age. I too have gained some weight which makes me feel worse and I'm too tired and exhausted to do anything about it.
My GP has prescribed me with HRT which I have just started a week ago. My main symptom is long periods. I'm into my 6th week with this one which is doing my head in.
I do wonder if I would be better going on the pill rather than HRT but at my age GP thought HRT better.
Any other members views on HRT v pill?

You have my full sympathy really the weight gain. It really gets me down
Welcome to the forum xx