Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hi I'm Linda and I have a question  (Read 4051 times)

Linda57

Hi I'm Linda and I have a question
« on: August 09, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »

HI, I'm Linda,
I've been on this site before , a long time ago when I was a member of another site. I'm 57, had a hysterectomy years ago when I was in my 30's, they left my ovaries in.  Yesterday on that other site I was harassed with questions which were not related to the subject I posted so I'm back here.

I am going through the meno - yuck, it's all be confirmed by the doc/tests etc.  On the outside of my vagina it's sore and itchy.  The doc did a swab and I don't have thrush or anything else nasty, said I was very dry down there.  What can I use to relieve this?  I hate all of this and just want to scream and cry. :'(
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:48:13 PM by Linda57 »

Tinkerbell

Re: Hi I'm Linda and I have a question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

Ask for Vagifem or Ovestin, both work the  same way, one is a cream and the other a tiny pessary.
You do a two week every night load and then go onto a maintenance dose, completely safe to use long term.
Do not be fobbed off by doctor, saying it is thrush, I was :( get treatment  asap it will get worse if left.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:09:11 PM by Tinkerbell »

Linda57

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

"Do not be fobbed off by doctor, saying it is thrush,"

Thanks Tinkerbell, will take your advice.  Doc said I didn't have thrush Tinkerbell.  Am now confused.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:23:07 PM by Linda57 »

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »

My gynaecologist said I needed to re-oestrogenise my vagina as it was very sore, red and fragile. I did have a few bouts of thrush because of this. I was using localised oestrogen, but have been advised to double the dose. I'm also on oestrogen only HRT which helps. All has calmed down now. Oh and I was advised to use vagisil intimate wash to help balance ph levels. You can buy this in chemists and some supermarkets. You'll have to ask for a prescription for vagifem or Ovestin.

Linda57

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:54 PM »

I have some vagifem upstairs - somewhere so will hunt it out.  Vagisil intimate wash - Tesco here I come.  Thanks everyone, none of you seem to be patronising and nasty like the other person on the other site, I can relax  :)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »

If your swabs come back negative and you haven't got thrush it is most likely to be VA.
Did your doctor not suggest it was vaginal atrophy? You are lucky to have got to 57 without a problem.

Do not leave it, because of my hopeless GP surgery my soreness went on for months before I could get anyone to agree to prescribe the right treatment

Tinkerbell

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 03:36:34 PM »

Yes, start the Vagifem and use every day for two weeks. Just ask for another prescription before you run out.

Linda57

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

If your swabs come back negative and you haven't got thrush it is most likely to be VA.
Did your doctor not suggest it was vaginal atrophy? You are lucky to have got to 57 without a problem.
Do not leave it, because of my hopeless GP surgery my soreness went on for months before I could get anyone to agree to prescribe the right treatment

Oh I've had it a while now,  just fed up of it but now have solutions to this problem thanks to all of you. :)

Linda57

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »

I have thyroid problems too, underactive/hypothyroidism.  Can I use vagifem with thyroid conditions?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:54:34 AM by Linda57 »

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:56 PM »

Hello Linda, yes, absolutely as it is a topical treatment and hardly any, if any, gets absorbed.  I also have underactive thyroid problems and have used vagifem successfully for over 5 years now.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »

Oh and  :welcomemm:

We're a great lot here and occasionally have something sensible to say! ::)

Linda57

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »

:thankyou: :tulips2:

Janice68

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 04:27:29 PM »

Hi Linda 57 just wanted to say welcome to MM. You have had good advice from the girls!!
I don't know if this will help I also use vagifem  and BV and wash with Hydromol and also use it also as a moisturiser for down there it has really helped me it is a bit of trial and error till you find what works!
Jan xx

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 04:45:44 PM »

Hi Linda57

:welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear about your discomfort and menopausal problems - and also about your bad experience of a different forum. Everyone is sympathetic on here and tries to help - we're all in the same boat to a greater or lesser extent!

I agree about the local oestrogen, and yes do take action without delay as it will never get better on its own. Did or do you suffer from any other menopausal symptoms in addition to the vaginal discomfort and soreness?

There is a lot of information on the main site about this here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php (then follow the sub tabs - under "MENOPAUSE" top left tab. Also here too: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php and an article here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php

Also there is a thread called the Burning Club where women discuss all sorts of vaginal discomfort issues and treatments here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22886.315.html This will take you to the first page of which there are 22!!

Hope this helps and good luck - keep us posted on your progress (if you want to that is  ;) )

Hurdity x :)

Linda57

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 05:49:21 AM »

Hurdity, I also have insomnia, some anxiety and palpitations, spots (am a teenager again.  Never had spots as a teenager though - strange) dizziness that just washes over me in about 30 seconds then I'm ok again (vaginal dryness too - goes without saying really) Will look at the links you sent me later this morning.  I had palpitations most of yesterday and didn't feel up to doing much so taking it easy today.

I have tried Valerian but it doesn't suit me, I went to the docs who gave me Zopiclone - gosh, never again, what awful tablets!  I saw a doc I don't like at she was the only one available at the time - she suggested I go jogging !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 06:21:59 AM by Linda57 »
Pages: [1] 2