Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Peri (I think) but still regular with horrendous anxiety  (Read 6965 times)

jorainbow

Peri (I think) but still regular with horrendous anxiety
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »

Any ladies who went through this or are at this stage now? 47 with regular periods still - slightly shorter cycle and either normal light period or one day of very heavy/clots. Occasional hot moment but nothing too bad, chin hair sprouting  ;D, spots like a teen, a sudden ambivalence towards food other than sweet stuff and other odd twinges but the worst is the emotional side.  Horrendous anxiety depression and anger , often after my period. This morning up with an anxiety attack at 430 am,  couldn't stop crying about anything and everything and generally feeling bloody miserable.  I know GP will just offer anti d as they did last time but I don't want to take them for a few days a month though the anxiety is hanging on longer. (Starting Linden Method to see if it helps ). I have had a lot of stress this year so keeping things in perspective but sometimes it's just a bit overwhelming.

jorainbow

Re: Peri (I think) but still regular with horrendous anxiety
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:25:16 AM »

Thanks Sparkle though due to hormonal stupidity you made me cry and laugh at the same time! !! Just knowing I'm not the only one is certainly a help xxx

jorainbow

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 11:03:27 AM »

Hug gratefully received 😊😊😊 I thought this morning how much more - anxiety started at 13 ish and like you a rollercoaster since - PMT PND and just life. But we keep going!

Tinkerbellj

Re: Peri (I think) but regular with horrendous anxiety
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 03:41:35 PM »

I share that t shirt....also 47 and horrible anxiety.  Just neen diagnosed with pnd but I know its peri meno They Just dont know what todo. I am on proff studd regime good for symptoms but not touching he anger and anxiety. Its horrible so have a great big hug xxx

walking the dog

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »

Welcome to forum jorainbow I'm another one with the t shirt I   started at 44 now 50 been on ADs and I'm on hrt anxiety no better I have just got used to crying all the time and appreciating the ok days  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 05:26:20 PM »

Hi jorainbow

Sounds like you are heading towards peri-menopause. If your cycle has become shorter then this is classed as the "Late Reproductive Stage" - because your ovaries are still working normally. However hormonal changes have begun to occur and often pms become more acute at this point. After this when your ovaries start to fail your cycle will become longer and big fluctuations in hormones will continue with oestrogen eventually declining until your ovaries pack up completely.

There is a great article on this site about the Peri-menopause expalining what will happen to your body:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

At the stage you are in at the moment it is often difficult to treat although from what I've read many gynaes advise using the contraceptive pill in order to even out the hormonal surges and dips. The best one to sue is one called Qlaira which is like HRT - the oestrogen is the same type - but also you don't have the pill free week- just 2 tablet free days which is easier to cope with. You might like to think about this especially if you still use/need contraception.

Here is the information on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra2.php (scroll down)

"HRT type estrogen containing pill

A new combined pill, Qlaira is now available which contains natural estradiol valerate as the estrogen component, rather than the synthetic estrogen ethinylestradiol. Ethinylestradiol is the usual component of the combined pill whereas estradiol valerate is an HRT type estrogen. This is a useful option for women in the perimenopause when it should control menopausal symptoms while providing contraception and good control of bleeding.
"

Otherwise - if you can cope with the mood changes through self-help methods and wait until other symptoms (flushes and sweats) become debilitating - (which they may not) - before considering HRT perhaps?

Hurdity x

Babsm67

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »

Hello Jorainbow, 
I'm 49 & have been through exactly the same experience as you over the last 3 years (I'm due to be assessed for endometrial ablation again in the autumn).  My cycle went from 28-30 days to 23-25 days with day 2 being the worst (very heavy).  My pms is horrendous (and continues during the week after my period) with extreme mood swings at the drop of a hat and I found 2 thick, black hairs growing on my jawline and cheek (my hair frames those parts of my face so I hadn't noticed them straight away (no idea if anyone else noticed - if they did, they kept quiet!)  ;D.  Sparkle's post about feeling the intense anger resonated with me - I was like this at the weekend and felt it again earlier whilst trying to complete a job application on the computer.  :bang:.   Since April, my cycle has reverted back to 28-31 days so not sure what is going on now (periods are still much the same as before).  Debating on whether to try hrt again (Oestrogel) but feel I should wait until I have had my assessment (camera etc) when I will know what is going on in there (I was found to have a small fibroid a year ago).  Sending hugs  :hug:. Thanks too, Hurdity, for the informative post X

jorainbow

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »

Thanks all for your posts and hugs!! Thanks Hurdity for info re contraceptive pill which I'll read when I get rid of this headache (did I mention headaches!!! ;D) was sterilised 18 years ago so no need for contraception but will give it some thought. I too have a fibroid and also had shorter cycles last year plus more VA/bladder symptoms. And yes I was so angry yesterday I could happily have thumped someone and all because I couldn't find my new pin number paper. It's a good job this site exists! (And my husband who calmed me down!)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »

I had PMS for which I was advised to eat every 3 hours, 24/7 - stopped anxiety surges but it took a few weeks to feel that it was working. 

Rages, I remember that too.  Particularly when I couldn't find stuff.  Browse round!

jorainbow

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »

Insomnia??  >:(. ........ yep the never ending list!!!!! Back in work tomorrow which will take my mind off things - I love working in a school but sometimes the holidays drag and I find my mind gets bored and then I start dwelling. CLKD - Thanks for food advice I'll start a bit of grazing see if it helps.  Xx

Babsm67

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 10:39:04 AM »

I know only too well what you mean about dwelling on things.  The insomnia seems to be a very common symptom (it was one of my earliest symptoms).  On some days, in my recent job, I felt that I did not want to go into work but, once I was there, it definitely helped me (currently between jobs as I was temping).  Hope you have an enjoyable first day back.  :)
Sparkle - I am hoping those stray hairs of mine do the same!  ;D
X

jorainbow

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »

Well I got into work only to find all my stuff for the office move was locked in another office and no one had the key!!!! Fortunately I laughed instead of bursting into tears. Have spent some of today reading posts on here and am so grateful for the experience advice and support - makes things easier.  :) :)

Tempest

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 08:07:08 PM »

Oh, yes indeed!!! Especially anxiety (which I still have now but worse in surgical menopause).

Can I just say, before you pay out for the Linden methods, please pop over to Anxietyguru.com and check out Paul Dooley's podcasts there. He has been a real lifeline to me! He is an ex anxiety sufferer of over 10 years who is now a qualified psychologist and he knows his stuff. His style is great too, he really 'gets' what anxiety is all about and is very responsive to comments and emails. And it's FREE. The Linden Method really doesn't offer anything miraculous and it's pretty pricey. Let me know what you think if you check out the website. ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »

My peri started exactly like OP
Had horrendous time trying to get hrt, doctor bit my head off when my IBS was stopping my femoston being absorbed, other GP's wouldnt prescribe cos I had migraines, caused by trazodone, had to spend £25 to get Consultant who runs this site to email me to say patches were ok.
Two GP's didnt want to know and finally found one who did.
Had to work my way up the doses, took till 100mcg evorel to stop flushes and horrible anxiety.

jorainbow

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 05:47:34 PM »

Hi just to update anxiety levels minimal mid way through cycle so keeping a thorough diary of everything to see the pattern if any.

Tempest - I'm afraid I had to stop listening to the anxiety guru after a few minutes - maybe it's the US style but he really irritated me (and the music!) !!  I've already bought the Linden Method as I feel it worth a small investment which if I was taking meds or having counselling I'd pretty much pay out in a few months. I'll feedback when I get going but we're all different and what works for one may not work for another. Thanks for the signpost though 😊
Pages: [1] 2