Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Worrying Trend Of Not Prescribing HRT After Oopherectomies  (Read 1858 times)

Tempest

Worrying Trend Of Not Prescribing HRT After Oopherectomies
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:43 PM »

Hi, ladies!

Bear with me here, because I'm starting this post in the mad hope that some of the professionals drop by and read these boards occasionally.

Since being a member, I have come across at least 2 other ladies who were not contraindicated to receiving HRT and were left with none following their oopherectomies. We've all practically had to beg for it!!

This is nothing short of BARBARIC. This is the only way to describe it! No way would a man who has been castrated be left with no hormone replacement if he was eligible to receive it - there would be an UPROAR if this was the case.

So, please - if any professionals are reading this, please bring this important problem to the table at the next meeting of your professional body as a matter of URGENCY. This is causing unbearable suffering to the women involved, and firm guidelines MUST be put it place across the board to ensure we receive the appropriate treatment we need to replace our hormones following surgery, and promptly (to include, without question, testosterone replacement therapy without having to beg or resorting to paying huge fees to the private sector).

Thank you.

Tempest

Re: Worrying Trend Of Not Prescribing HRT After Oopherectomies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 09:54:32 PM »

P.S. - If no one has any objections, I may 'bump' this thread from time to time to maximise the chances of it being spotted. Many thanks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »

It is a common problem.   No joined-up thinking?  Years ago the Consultant would discuss options prior to surgical intervention and send a letter to the patient's GP with suggestions for after care.  Now it seems from what I read on here that each dept. operates as a separate entity.  Surely it shouldn't be the patient who does all the searching in order to ask the various medics involved what will be required following surgery?

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »

.. and it is particularly important in women who have not yet reached menopause, but should also be considered for women who are post-menopausal since the ovaries continue to produce some hormones after menopause - and from what I've read the amount does vary in different women.

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »

Absolutely, Hurdity! All women deserve help with hormonal issues.

I think the situation regarding the treatment of us ladies in surgical menopause is particularly dire! We hit post menopause at 100 miles an hour, with no time for our bodies (or minds, for that matter) to adjust to the sudden drop in hormones. GP's don't seem to understand the difference between natural and surgical menopause, and follow up post surgery to address sufficient hormone replacement is often absent or very poor. We often suffer debilitating knock on physical effects - cases of Addison's have been reported, as well as more commonly thyroid and metabolic issues.

I'm taking my time compiling a letter expressing my concerns to the British Menopause Society - whether this will have any impact, I'm not sure. Approximately 4,000 women per year have surgery of oopherectomy, a rising number of these are pre menopausal. This is due to either extreme complications from ongoing endometriosis or for prophylactic reasons in the case of BRCA gene mutation. I believe that very clear protocols need to be in place to ensure all oopherectomised women receive the treatment they deserve as the consequences particularly in younger women of missing or inadequate hormone replacement can be catastrophic on their quality of life.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »

Could you copy the letter to your GP and Consultant?