Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oestrogen's role in preventing bladder infections  (Read 6533 times)

robotwars

Re: Oestrogen's role in preventing bladder infections
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »

Good luck Taz, I'm sure there is a connection with lack of oestrogen, as my water infections have def got worse since stopping HRT.
My doctor gave me estriol cream and told me to use this every other night to see if it helps before using another prescription of antibiotics, had 3 doses of estriol now and still the same, going to give it to tomorrow to see if it eases if not I will take antibiotics... didn't want to take them unless I had too......

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

Robotwars - everyone who knows anything about VA is aware that any topical oestrogen needs to have a 2 weeks loading!!! in order to have any effect.  Obviously your GP is behind the times?  so I would suggest using it every night - put a dose in now and another around 9.00 p.m. to get it 'going'? 

Also, urine 'infections' can only be determined by a Lab. Test where the urine is 'grown' for bugs - urine is sterile unless it picks up a bug on it's journey.  ABs should not be given unless the test has been done in a Lab.!

Thanks Taz ……. you are a Mine of Information.

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »

Also, urine 'infections' can only be determined by a Lab. Test where the urine is 'grown' for bugs - urine is sterile unless it picks up a bug on it's journey.  ABs should not be given unless the test has been done in a Lab.!

Although it is a necessary to have urine tested in the lab it is also important to begin antibiotic treatment as soon as possible. If you delay then the infection can travel further up into the kidneys as happened to me. A broad spectrum antibiotic is prescribed to get things started while waiting for the result from the lab. If the bug is found to be resistant to whichever antibiotic you have been given then you will be contacted by your practice to inform you of this and to enable you to pick up a prescription for the right antibiotic. Although it's a nuisance having to take one that isn't working as well it at least saves you going on to develop an infection in one or both kidneys.

My bladder feels much better today having drunk loads of water yesterday so I haven't had to phone the doc for an emergency triage call. Hopefully I will be ok till my appointment next Thursday.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 04:23:08 PM »

:thankyou:  and pleased that you feel easier in that direction.  I find that for 24 hours after using the Ovestin the symptoms for what I am using it 4 become background  >:(

Cazikins

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »

My bladder feels much better today having drunk loads of water yesterday so I haven't had to phone the doc for an emergency triage call. Hopefully I will be ok till my appointment next Thursday.

Taz x

That's great news Taz - (shame it's water one has to drink & not pinot)  ;D ;D

Cazi x

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:28 PM »

I managed to slip a couple of those in tonight...

Taz x  ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2]