Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Telegraph Menopause Articles  (Read 2649 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Telegraph Menopause Articles
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:56 PM »

Just a noticed a couple of good very recent articles on the Telegraph online regarding menopause, etc.  They are only from the last week or so but at least it raises the profile of it.

Night_Owl

Re: Telegraph Menopause Articles
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »

Thanks for this.

Just reading the articles.

This one struck a chord with me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/25/tough-menopause-can-age-a-woman-by-two-years-major-study-finds/

"Not getting restorative sleep may do more than just affect our functioning the next day; it might also influence the rate at which our biological clock ticks."

"In the women we studied, those reporting symptoms such as restless sleep, waking repeatedly at night, having difficulty falling asleep, and waking too early in the morning tended to be older biologically than women of similar chronological age who reported no symptoms."

Yoiks.

I had a relatively early meno at 44 and feel I've definitely aged more than other women my age - in fact, a lot more than two years - feels more like ten!

linz57

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:45:18 PM »

I regularly feel as old as Methuselah because I don't get enough sleep, no matter what I do. Waking several times a night even though I'm not bothered by hot flushes is really aggravating. Oh to be a man, my husband falls asleep  almost immediately and then has to be almost dug out of bed at 9am!

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 04:51:03 PM »

On the subject of insomnia speeding up the biological aging process, I wonder if there might be a similar link with early menopause?  i.e. if you have insomnia from childhood up, are you more likely to start the change early because your reproductive system is ageing faster than normal?