Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Three months on HRT but still have issues!  (Read 1842 times)

Tinkerbell

Three months on HRT but still have issues!
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »

I have been using HRT for three months now, Mirena plus Estradot 75 patch.
My main problems have been soreness down below and palpitations.
Well, the palpitations have almost disappeared, so pleased about that. But I am still having to use Vagifem every night, and the last few days I have had another nasty blip and have used two each night in desperation.....this has improved things thankfully.

What do I do now? Unfortunately the only GP who was any good with this sort of thing has now left and I was told by the other female GP that I did not need topical treatment if using full HRT.
So I am anxious about getting her to sanction my Vagifem prescription every time I request it.

Dancinggirl

Re: Three months on HRT but still have issues!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:41:40 PM »

Have you tried using Sylk ?  This can be very soothing.  Also you could have a bit of Bacterial vaginitis which can make one feel really sore - I treat this with Multi Gyn Actigel - used 2-3 times week, some pushed up inside and a bit around the outside really helps the keeps things healthier.  The other reason you might be feeling sore is possibly the fillers in the Vagifem!!! - Why not try just using the Vagifem every 3 nights and use some Sylk everyday, morning and evening, to help keep things soothed and healthy.  I find vaginal moisturisers really good and absolutely essential.
Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »

Tinkerbell, I would switch to Oestrogel immediately!  Having used the Mirena coil with patches myself and failing miserably, I would not personally recommend this combination.  While I was on that particular regime, my oestrogen blood levels were pathetic even when I upped my dose to the 100mcg patch!  Having used both oestrogen patches and Oestrogel, I think the gel is a far more effective, user friendly product with far better absorption rates. 

I'm afraid I had constant vaginal irritation on this regime but again, that was probably due to lack of oestrogen.

I think the Mirena/Oestrogel combination would work very well because you have the flexibility to increase or decrease the oestrogen dose very quickly and easily.  You will probably need 3 pumps of gel everyday to get good results because although most of the progesterone from the coil is confined to the womb, a fair amount of progesterone will get into your overall system meaning you need more oestrogen to get symptom relief. 

I have carried out an experiment over the last month or so - I put one pump of gel on my upper, inner thighs everyday and it has really helped with (minor) irritation down below so that is another added bonus.  I can't guarantee it will work for everyone but it's worth a try.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »

Dancing girl....I have tried Sylk before, but find it irritating, but will look for something else, think I will give the actigel stuff a try too.

MaryG...I have an appointment for 2 weeks time ( earliest!!) and am going to insist on the Oestrogel.
I do hope that it will improve things, as I am beginning to worry if something else is going on!