Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Six weeks off HRT and....  (Read 2481 times)

Liz

Six weeks off HRT and....
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

Although Ive been feeling absolutely fine in myself, apart from the odd night flush and my knuckles becoming painful and swollen again, I've started suffering from itching down below again.  Took 2 thrush treatments and after sex, the discomfort is back again.  Didnt have the problem whilst on the HRT (for the past 2 years).  Wonder if this is due to the body losing its Oestrogen and am tempted to go back on the HRT (Oestrogel/Utrogestan) as I really don't want to suffer discomfort and itching after sex.

Would six weeks of no Oestrogen be likely to cause these symptoms.  I'm 48 and peri.  I had one very light period whilst off the HRT, so don't think I'm post-meno yet.

dazned

Re: Six weeks off HRT and....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 05:36:18 PM »

How about using local estrogen like vagifem etc. It will keep things plumped up and comfortable for you .

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »

It sounds like the reduction in oestrogen to me too. You are still young to go without HRT I reckon. What made you want to come off it?

I agree with dazned that Vagifem would help with the vaginal dryness. It worked well for me!

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »

The reason I was trying without was that I'd been getting two bleeds per month and I wanted to see if I was still having my natural periods and got a bit "nervous" about using HRT......

So, you think the itching after sex is due to dryness caused by stopping the HRT?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:44:45 PM »

Liz - you really need the Vagifem and also some vaginal moisturiser like Sylk - if you haven't got a white cottage cheese type discharge then the itch will be to do with VA and possibly bacteria - Thrush treatments are not going to do the job.  I use Multi Gyn ACtigel when the itching and soreness gets bad - works a treat. DG x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

You need to go and get some Vagifem or Ovestin. I started to get problems down below at your age.
 I was still getting periods and kept being told by GP that it was thrush.
Don't leave it, get treatment for it now, it only gets worse.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »

Hi - thanks for your replies.  If I were to go back on Oestrogel/Utrogestan, would I still need Vagifem as well?  I've been on the Oestrogel for 2 years now and hardly ever had problems down below whilst on it.  I'm wondering if the 6 weeks without it have caused things to develop..........

Anyway, I've started back on the Oestrogel/Utro regime today.  My knuckles have got sore and swollen again during the past couple of weeks and been aching when getting out of bed.  I still feel a bit "itchy/****ly" down below today, but not as bad as the day after sex.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »

I started systemic HRT three months ago and still need to use Vagifem every day.
I had hoped it would improve things down below but it has seemed to have done nothing in that area  :-\
But the awful palpitations I was getting have vastly improved.

I am using a 75 Estradot patch.

Liz

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »

Thanks Tinkerbell.  I'm seeing my GP next Monday to update her re. the HRT break (it wasn't her suggestion, but mine so I could see if my periods had stopped ).  I'll mention the Vagifem and see if she thinks I'd benefit from that as well.

If you don't mind me asking, were your symptoms down below like thrush (****ling and irritation) but without the discharge??  Like I said earlier, I used two lots of the oral tablets for thrush over the past month and it's still there, so doubt it is actual thrush.   Didn;t have any of these symptoms whilst I was on the HRT.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

****ling and irritation are signs of VA - the whole flora balance can be off when the meno strikes and this can cause itching, soreness and strange discharge which is often to do with bacteria that can take hold because the flora balance isn't right. Vagifem can help with this but often full systemic HRT is the best option - sometimes both local and systemic HRT is needed to control VA. DG x

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »

Liz, resuming HRT is a very wise move.  Systemic HRT should help with VA and it might be worth rubbing some of the gel on your inner thighs, I have found it helps with mild irritation.

VA/irritation sets in very quickly as soon as you stop producing/taking oestrogen. 

Liz

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 04:17:41 PM »

Thank you, DG and Mary.  This has definitely reared his head during the past few weeks since taking a break from the HRT, so I'm definitely going back on it.  I found out what I wanted to by taking the break, that I still had a natural period, so I don't see the point in suffering and certainly don't want full-blown VA to set in.  I'll see how it goes for the next week with the resumption of the HRT and ask my GP if she thinks a course of Vagifem is worth a go, next week when I see her.

Got some Multi-gyn so will use a bit of that in the meantime.  Thanks again ladies.