Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi, this is me  (Read 1998 times)

lynneO

Hi, this is me
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »

Hi, am new to the forum.  Here's my story. 

Last June, my periods started to stop/start and mess about.  They had always been 100% reliable up to that point.  Maybe six months before this point, I would wake in the night about a week before my period and be as hot as Hades.  They sputtered about a bit and stopped.  Ok I thought, that's life, here we go.

8 weeks ago I ended up in A&E, when completely out of the blue, walking into the kitchen I just went 'weird' and ended up on the floor.  It was a most disturbing and strange sensation, nothing I've ever experienced before.  I didn't go to A&E that night, but 2 days later, when this feeling had been happening on and off for a few days.  My Heart rate was fluctuating from low 50's to 150 and beyond in a few seconds (thank you Apple watch).  A&E did an ECG and Blood pressure etc.  Said that I hadn't had a stroke or a heart attack (was convinced I was having TIA's at this point). 
I had already booked a GP's appt so went the day after A&E, blood pressure fine, heart rate fine.  'Could be the menopause' - ah right ok then

The 'attacks' drifted off although were still there and somehow seemed to be linked to my digestion, don't tell me how I know this, it is just that I noticed there was a correlation, when I really tried to break the attacks down into their micro moments.  Yes, I am a control freak.

So, managed a week without anything, then without warning, Sunday a massive 'episode' I call them, the symptoms of which are so difficult to describe.  This Sundays started with a weird patch of tingling on my left leg, then up into both legs, then a feeling like you are going to die (fortunately didn't), a head rush, tachycardia, fast breathing and near losing the plot and being on the floor.  Not ideal when you are in the park walking the dog.  For 20 mins after the initial 'burst', the feeling of not being able to get home before stacking it on the floor. 

These episodes seemed to be linked with a feeling of utter dejection and doom, and a 'what is the point' generalisation. 

Well, this is so 'not me'  I'm a bull in a china shop sort of girl, who has previous track records of just hammering through life and despite other health issues and various activity related injuries has just ignored and carried on.  This seems to have stopped me, both physically and psychologically, it's very challenging.

It kind of changes everything I knew to be true about myself from before and feels a lot like a bereavement.   The loss of youth, the loss of fertility, the loss of the certainty of health.

I know have to research how to help myself, to minimise the impact that this situation has on the others around me, and myself, and adapt to the 'new me', who I don't really like very much at the moment.

So I look forward to contributing to the forum, hearing of others experiences, and learning how to manage this new and different environment.

thanks
Lynne

lynneO

Re: Hi, this is me
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:34:16 PM »

Hi, thanks.
Sorry should of said I have an ECG booked for next week, then back to the GP after that.

but after that, I have no idea

lynneO

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 08:51:23 PM »

Thanks, I can't think it would be anything else.  I'm fit and normally my heart rate is low, so these spikes are really disturbing. 

Freckles

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:39:27 PM »

Hi Lynne O
Unless there is anything significant going on in your life, such as stressful life events and/or significant health problems (which seems not necessarily to be the case according to your post), sounds to me like fairly common symptoms of anxiety, panic attacks and low mood, which most linked to hormonal changes.
I'd suggest first getting your basic hormone levels checked via a blood test by your GP (oestrogen. progesterone. testosterone and FSH levels) 
Read around on the forum, on all posts. 
Some posters advocate HRT tablets, like Femoston 1/10.
Personally I don't. I was prescribed them and they were only effective for about a year, . and I felt awful over time on them.
Since then, I've learnt that transdermal (gels or patches) HRT is the safest and most effective form of HRT.
 I find the gel oestrogen is more effective and effective that having a patch stuck to my bottom all day.
I've been on gel oestrogen  (Estrogel) and Utrogestan since seeing Prof Studd (My GP didn't give a damn and wanted to prescribe me the much cheaper alternative of anti-depressants, rather than HRT)   for the past 3 months and can honestly  say the treatment  has changed my life  for the better.

So read as many posts as possible and go back armed with such to your GP with informed information!
Let us all know how you get on? x

precious4

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:33:43 AM »

:-)Hey lynne o..i two sort of felt like you..think i been going thru meno for at least 3yrs off an on...had those days in the kitchen or out shopping where id come over wierd lightheaded ,sweaty,an confused an felt like i was going to pass out...my hubby has had a heartattack so that was my first scarey thought...but as time an dr's appts went by i realised it was just the real start of my meno..and it is scarey...but if you read posts on here many are in the same boat an im still like them finding new systems...gd luck with your dr,s appointments an this forum does help after you do some reading...well its helped me
         juli x

soniad

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:55:34 AM »

It kind of changes everything I knew to be true about myself from before and feels a lot like a bereavement.   The loss of youth, the loss of fertility, the loss of the certainty of health.

I can so relate to that statement.

Welcome to the forum Lynne, I hope you find what you're looking for here :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:37:28 AM »

Crikey that sounds awful! 

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes.  Ask your GP to run a thyroid function test too.  He may suggest buying a blood pressure machine to take yours every day at home, as some people can suffer White Coat Syndrome  ::).  My husband used his B4 eating breakfast at the same time each day.

Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary may be useful. 

This time of Life isn't called The Change for nowt!  When I get anxiety I feel sick, my thighs go weak, then my calves and then my head starts  >:( :(.  Let us low how you get on!