Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Had My Private Health Assessment Today - Its Great To Be Listened To  (Read 2116 times)

Jessicaponies

I had my Health assessment this afternoon and I thought as I got up this morning I thought I am putting myself first for once, taking an afternoon off and setting the ball rolling to get my health issues sorted. When I got there I thought I had arrived for a posh weekend break, no grumpy receptionist but a polite lady who after assuring me I would be seen by female staff took the balance for my payment, printed off my online questionnaire and gave me a pot to pee in. I was then taken into a room and given a sleeveless gown and asked to undress.
   A couple of minutes later a really nice female nurse came in and took a resting ECG and all sorts of other things in the first hour, doing everything from a digital spinal assessment to a lung function test. I also had the result of my urine test and the more normal things like height, weight, blood pressure and so on. There was a very thorough body fat percentage test as well which I am thankful for my exercise and horse riding as I have a near perfect BMI and for most of my examinations in that hour I had the results there and then so we could discuss them. The blood analysis was left for the doctor, but everything else we were able to chat about and make sure I understood.
Next came my hour with the female doctor, although I ended up being in there for even longer than that in the end. In this hour we talked about everything in more depth, as well as go over the blood and urine analysis results, and we went further into my family medical history, what contraceptive I am using and the things I'd highlighted as a cause for concern about going through an early menopause before the appointment and a head to toe check-over.
Then came the bit I was dreading, she asked me to go behind the screen and remove my gown and to sit on the bed. A thorough breast examination followed, before she helped my put my feet in the stirrups. In went the speculum and she took a cervical smear and a high vaginal swab. Next was a full pelvic examination which involved at one stage her putting a finger into both my rectum and vagina simultaneously, this was the most uncomfortable part of the session but it was over quite quickly. I was then allowed to get dressed when she went over what she had found and the results of the blood tests.
 I have a good general level of health but she is concerned about my constant tiredness, tender breasts, hot flushes, and she is 99% certain that I am going through perimenopause. The FSH blood test wasn't included and in any case I would have to come off the pill for a full month (currently just over 2 weeks), and she has recommended I have this and offered to write to my GP. I found her to be much easier to talk to and understanding than my GP so I have decided to have this done privately too. I can have the test done through my work medical insurance but will have to pay for the GP appointment to discuss the results should I not go to see my NHS GP with these.
 We talked about my coming off the pill (I have been on it since I was 15 and am now 36) and bearing in mind that my husbands vasectomy should start to work soon I went away with a selection of both male and female condoms to use should I decide not to start taking the pill again
While this wasn't the cheapest two hours I have ever spent it was great just to be listened to and not be treated like I am going mad. She is going to send the results of the tests to my GP, but I am seriously considering going back for the FSH test privately again.

Jess.

Nina

Re: Had My Private Health Assessment Today - Its Great To Be Listened To
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:41:01 PM »

I've never had a finger up my arse in a health assessment! What were they checking for?!

Glad all was ok though.

I've got mine in a few weeks. My cheeks are clenching already  ;D

Vanessa1

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:15:17 PM »

Jeez! Wouldn't put myself through all that stress!
I had to cross my legs while reading that post .... though I'm a scaredy cat ... well done for going!

SueLW

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »

I think it's really worth paying for private tests and explanations just because they take time and listen to you.  You learn things, can make notes and ask questions.  It's not cheap, but I do like it.  I would have got nowhere in the past few years without it.

Just hate the having to pay bit.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:17:32 PM »

The test using a finger up the bottom and one in the vagina is to make sure the vaginal walls are strong and not prolapsing I think. That's what they told me mine was for anyway  ;D

Taz x

Jessicaponies

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »

That's what she said at the time that the rectovaginal exam was checking for prolapse. This was my first internal examination apart from two smear tests at 25 and 28, they have always embarrassed the hell out of me (never had children so not gone through that). As it was I got out of the hospital yesterday sat in the car and burst into tears which is very unlike me.

Jess

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »

I would imagine the tears were a mixture of relief and a feeling of being a bit violated having had to endure intimate tests etc, if you're not used to them.  Perfectly understandable really but well done you for having the guts to do it in the first place because not many of us are brave enough!

x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »

You should have had cervical smears more often!!!!!   

Great to be listened to but your GP should be able to take over any future health care.  I am concerned that "….. she is concerned about my constant tiredness, tender breasts, hot flushes, and she is 99% sure" -  ::)

I tried those female contraceptive thingies, they were sooooo loonnnggg  ;D and awkward.  When does the vasectomy be deemed to be safe?  I would continue with The Pill until he has given his final sample!!! not rely on something you are not secure in using.

If you are constantly tired it may be that you need a thyroid function blood test and one for anemia levels.

Let us know how you get on.

Jessicaponies

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »

Hi CKLD, she has suggested having a pill free month then having an FSH blood test and from there confirming that I am at perimenopause, I have book this for the 8th August and going private will get the results next day and from there decide to go back on the pill or see what the Dr recommends. My husbands vasectomy should take effect any time now, we are going to get another sample tested when he gets home at the weekend.

Jess

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:02:43 PM »

I have not had a recto-vaginal exam, even with the urogynaecologist who was assessing me for rectocele.  Perhaps, with my problems, he was wise  ;D  Did take quite a long time prodding internal muscles etc. though.

Maryjane

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »

I have seen a gynae who did vaginal and rectal exam at the same time , it is to check the pelvic floor muscles and thickness from one side to the other .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:59:17 PM »

:bed:   ;)   :-X  ………