Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Jaw discomfort  (Read 3310 times)

Sazduggs

Jaw discomfort
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:48:48 PM »

Quick question??

Does anyone ever experience a sort of jaw ache if their E is too low or high? It comes and goes but at the moment I have it all the time, it feels like tension, like I need to bite down, I hate it!!!! It disappeared when I felt great great a month ago now I think my body is used to the amount of e I'm on and it needs more as I'm sooooo tired with low mood aswell

Any answers will be much appreciated!

S xxxxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Jaw discomfort
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 09:10:10 AM »

Nope but I'm not on HRT.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 12:39:15 PM »

Yes, but with me its tension. I clench my teeth during the night and if I'm uptight during the day it also becomes stiff and sore. Occasionally I get a clicky jaw.
I rub some ibuprofen gel along my jaw and up towards my ear and that helps.

Honeybun
X

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

Don't know what it's due to, but I've had incredibly tense muscles from my collar bones to my ears lately. Went to the naprapath who did a wonderful job, but I still tense up from time to time. I think a lot of it happens during sleep (if my pillow isn't right, for instance). I've actually HEARD my neck crack a couple of times when I've woken up in the night and turned myself in bed... And I've discovered that I sometimes actually have to tell myself to relax my jaw. All new to me, but I've had so much worry lately that I believe that a lot of the pain and tension all along my neck (sides and back) is due to the stress and anxiety.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »

Tongue position in the mouth helps reduce tension in the jaw. Try to make sure your tongue is behind your top teeth. It helps relax things.

Honeybun
X

Sazduggs

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »

Thanks girls, I find it so annoying!
Xx

Dennylou48

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »

I do this all the time without realising, my neck hurts so much and the feel like I have to keep stretching my neck, I'm not sure if it's my glands but feel like they are being tugged. What on earth causes us to keep biting down on our teeth, along with all the usually Meno stuff it's really annoying me.

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 07:42:00 PM »

I don't know for sure, but from browsing the internet, I have found theories as follows:

With lower oestrogen levels, your adrenalin and cortisol (stress hormone) rise in an attempt to get your oestrogen levels up.  This probably results in muscle tension.  Hence the jaw clenching.

I know that I tend to hold tension in my upper back and shoulders, so practice releasing this at regular intervals which seems to help with the jaw.  As I tense, my neck goes down and my shoulders go up and all the muscles round my neck and jaw and face tighten.  It also affects chest and so breathing gets shallower which increases the tension.

Yoga, pilates and a good contemporary dance classes help as you become more body aware and learn how to stretch out and lengthen and release muscles which helps.  Doesn't always help when you do it in your sleep though.  :-\

Unfortunately, HRT has not helped it for me.   I expect it goes away as your body adjusts, although I do remember my Grandma complaining in her 80s.