Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello I'm new  (Read 4421 times)

Lorraine L

Hello I'm new
« on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:22 PM »

Hello everyone,
Just introducing myself to the site. My name is Lorraine, I'm 51 and a Nail Technician.

Im joining this site because I think I could be going through the Menopause. I have a doctors appointment on Thursday. I am getting symptoms of irregular periods (always been every 4 weeks up until a year ago) moments where I feel really hot, trouble sleeping but the most concerning for me is that my whole body aches.
My bones ache and my body. I get up in the morning and feel like I have slept on a concrete floor all night.

I know I'll have to wait until I see a doctor to confirm but just wanted to talk to someone who knows.

Thanks for listening to my moaning 👍

Janice68

Re: Hello I'm new
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »

Welcome Lorraine to MM ,  Our body is going through a big change it causes so many debilitating symptoms I'm afraid,!! and don't worry we all have a good moan too it appears to be never ending. Then you start to understand and adapt to the journey for me it's been a scary journey.
Your doctor should be able to go by your symptoms but saying that I eventually sussed it out myself. I did eventually have bloods done to indicate I was in menopause.
The symptoms you describe sounds to me it could well be menopause. Doing bloods will help and maybe get your thyroid checked too including vitamin d that can cause aches and pains etc. Lack of sleep is a nightmare isn't it? It's horrible I'm so tired with that one.
Others will be along to help and advise you to I'm sure.
Your in the right place!!! Take care Janx

Lorraine L

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 03:28:10 PM »

Hi Jan,
Thanks for your reply. I feel a bit easier already. I suppose its the not knowing (although I suspect) what the symptoms are.

One of my clients did mention thyroid and vitamin D too to be checked out.

Yes I think a few blood tests are in order. I suppose I'd better get used to it eh.

Thanks again for your reply. I feel happier knowing its not just me.

I will post again and let you know what the doctor says. Thank you xx

Janice68

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »

Hi Lorraine,
Please let us know how you get on with your doc? I'm hope you're doctor is nice and understanding and knowledgeable with the menopause!!
Oh yes, it  is the not knowing part that does you in. I used to think it was me it's all in my head etc. As I went along it started to make sense thank heavens. Such a shock but anyway you will be fine I'm sure!!!
Let us know!!
Jan xx

Lorraine L

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:57:25 PM »

Yes I will Jan.
I think once I know what I'm dealing with I'll be ok.
Not sure how the forum works but I'll post a reply here on this subject.
Xx

Lorraine L

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »

Hi Sparkle,
The Vitamin D thing has got me thinking. As a nail tech (working from home) I am indoors most days and don't very often go out. Am I right in thinking lack of sunshine? Also I had an abnormal mole removed 2 years ago and am very reluctant to sit in the sunshine. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 10:32:46 PM »

Take a list of symptoms with you!

Browse round here; make notes.   :welcomemm:

I believe that as we age oestrogen levels drop = laxity of muscle groups.  This causes various aches and pains.  Not all at the same time however  ::), sometimes enough to be more of a nuisance.

HRT can protect heart and bones.  A healthy diet and regular exercise as well as 'me time' is important.  Apart from treatment for vaginal atrophy [My Bladder etc.] I have been lucky in not having symptoms for long enough to warrant treatment.  Be aware that some GPs even now will only believe a lady is peri-menopausal if she complains of hot flushes  >:(  ::).

Let us know how you get on!

Cecelia

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:35:01 AM »

I'm 54 and have severe bone and muscle pain. Although I have plenty of other symptoms I find this the most debilitating. My FSH levels came back as 'in the postmenopausal range'. Dr was at a loss and suggested we all get aches and pains as we get older! She did arrange a vitamin D blood test which came back normal. Tbh was convinced it was low because I avoid the sun at all cost as I burn very easily - it has to be really hot before the long sleeves come off.

Keep posting updates! :)

Lorraine L

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »

Thank you all for your replies, it means a lot 😘 
I have a gap between clients now so I'm going to get out and walk to the shops and hopefully get some sunshine 🌤 on my achy bones.
Just talking to you ladies has certainly helped 👍 Xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:16 PM »

Cecelia - as oestrogen levels drop off muscles become lax = aches and pains.  An over the counter pain relief should relief symptoms.  We do have aches and pains 'as we get older' but that shouldn't be the reason why your GP isn't giving advice on how to relief symptoms   :bang: :bang: :bang:

Cecelia

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 04:13:12 PM »

Vitamin D level was 60. My FSH first reading was 27.1 six weeks later 28.7. This seems rather low compared with levels of FSH I've seen on MM.

I do take ibuprofen before bed to help with the aches but try to avoid taking them during the day. I've had a busy day today walking/driving so likely to stiffen up later!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »

Forgot to mention - welcome to the Menopause Matters Nail Technician ;-).  We know have a charabanc for trips out, a MM Choir, a Cycling Club, MM Book list  :whist:

Lorraine L

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »

Thank you CLKD 👍

Lorraine L

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 08:59:30 AM »

Sitting in the waiting room feeling anxious 😬

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »

Just say what you need to. We're all in there with you don't forget!

Taz x  :hug:
Pages: [1] 2