Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Am on on the correct HRT?  (Read 1406 times)

Mandyb

Am on on the correct HRT?
« on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »

Hi everyone

Can someone please help me. I started prempak c 9 days ago after having horrible symptoms for a year or more. I am 46 and I haven't had a period for 18 months. I know it is early days on it but I feel awful. I asked my dr if I could have a continuous with no bleed and she said no because of my age and my bones!  I didn't want to argue with her but I was under the impression that if you had stopped your period for over a year then you should go on  continuous. Perhaps someone could clarify please? ☺

Beaker

Re: Am on on the correct HRT?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »

Hi Mandyb

You are right. You should be able to go on continuous at any age if you have not had a period for over 1 year. Maybe you should show your GP this website and direct her to Treatments and look under HRT postmenopause. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:54:21 PM by Beaker »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »

Hi Mandyb

You should be allowed a conti HRT although sometimes it's a good idea to begin with a sequi one so that if you have side effects you can work out whether it is the oestrogen or the progesterone which is causing them.  Your GP has put you on one of the older HRT's. The newer ones are much more like your own hormones. Have a good look around the site at the various types and go back to your GP asking for a change. Some women get on well with patches and others with the gel (adding in a separate progesterone such as utrogestan) It can take a few months to find the right combination for you so don't despair. You've got us lot now to help you!

Taz x  :welcomemm:

clare663

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »

Hi Mandyb, I have been 5 years meno and I'm 49 now and my GP prescribed continuous without a problem 4 yrs ago but she did insist on having bloods checked first to make sure it was the menopause and nothing else stopping the periods.