Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Progesterone intolerant? Pro-Juven  (Read 2767 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Progesterone intolerant? Pro-Juven
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

I was prescribed Pro-Juven progesterone cream in the past and it made me feel shockingly bad - nausea, complete exhaustion & had to go to bed. I tried it over a course of a few weeks & had to give up because it made me feel so ill.

My question is.....is Pro-Juven 'proper' progesterone? I got it on prescription as I think it's a guaranteed strength. I couldn't tolerant even small amounts (tiny!) once a bit of it had built up in my system. I think IF it is 'proper' progesterone then I might well be intolerant. I had a similar problem with Serenity cream although my reaction wasn't perhaps quite so severe.

Any advice?

Thanks everyone! X

Dancinggirl

Re: Progesterone intolerant? Pro-Juven
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM
I've not tried these progesterone creams so can't comment - here on MM most of us are very sceptical about these over the counter hormones options. Are you in the USA?
Some women are very sensitive to progesterone but using progesterone on it's own without oestrogen may be the problem.  Serenity is such a low dose I would question it's actual effectiveness, so it is unlikely to cause problems although there has been some anecdotal evidence from women who are severely sensitive to anything.
Using a properly balanced HRT preparation could be very different and positive for you.
Do tell us more about yourself - your age and what stage you are in your meno journey (do you still get periods) -  so we can support you better.  What meno symptoms are you trying to control.  Dg xxx

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »

Hi Dancing Girl, & thank you very much for your reply  :)

I live in South Oxfordshire but got caught up in the oestrogen dominance obsession & was very wrongly diagnosed as a result. I started off on Serenity cream only & was then on Pro-Juven only & then on a mixture of some oestrogen gel & Serenity & then out of desperation a combination HRT tablet. None of these combo's have worked for me & ive been so ill that I've just referred myself to be seen at the Professor Studd clinic. I will do a post about this separately.

I'm 47 years old & I am having irregular periods. My last three cycle lengths were 90 days, 25 days, 50 days. The symptoms I am trying to control are complete exhaustion, nausea & all day headaches. This is at its worst when I start my period (I can't get out of bed for at least 3 days as I feel so ill).

I've referred myself to see a gyne as I've got a six year old daughter & it saddens me just how much both her & me are missing out on a more positive relationship 😒 I also have a short temper, feel very impatient & often feel depressed. I am experiencing mood swings more & more particularly over the past few months.

Not sure where I am in the journey as such but I'm most Definately finding it hard & can't believe my husband hasn't left me by now to be honest. I have ZERO libido & I'm cranky, impatient etc.

Hopefully I will get somewhere once I've seen the gyne!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »

Blue Kingfisher - I assume you've had bloods done to check your FHS level and also your thyroid function?  Have you also had your Vitamin D and iron levels checked? Clearly you are in peri meno and the fluctuating hormones can cause havoc but you shouldn't need to pay to see a private gynae to get help - you could ask to be referred to a menopause clinic as I bet there is one in the Oxford area.
Most HRT regimes have bio identical oestrogen and you can get this as patch or gel; then there are a number of options for the progesterone e.g. Provera or Utrogestan.  Prof Studd will simply put you on Oestrogel with Utrogestan and you can get these from your GP if you ask.  If nausea is a real problem for you then this transdermal HRT route will possibly be best for you but it's always a trial and error process until you find something that suits.
Mood swings are difficult to handle in the peri stage and I am a great believer in doing lots of brisk walks and relaxation to help with low mood and feeling irritable.  I practise 'Mindful Meditation' which my GP suggested - I was very sceptical at first but find it really helps me cope with fatigue and stress. 
Many find Studd really good so let us know how you get on.  DG x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:45:17 PM »

Hi DG,

I have an under active thyroid & am on medication for this. I think my Vit D is fine as I used to be deficient & since supplementing daily with 5,000 iu it's always been fine since but I haven't had it checked recently, or my ferritin or FSH.

I'm booked into Prof. Studd's clinic for Fri 19th Aug & I've just asked what blood tests might be useful for me to get done in advance by my GP on another thread but you might also have a clue about this as I'm not even sure what FSH is?! ::)

BK X

dazned

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:39:57 AM »

Its worth telling prof studd about your thyroid and keeping in mind that hrt and thyroid meds do interact so its sometimes much more difficult to get them both balanced right ! Hope all goes well.