Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Long periods  (Read 5781 times)

Ann64

Long periods
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »

Hi there. Just new to the forum and I guess I am seeking some reassurance from other members.
I am 46 and for the last year my periods have been fairly light and short and my monthly cycle has been shorter as well. Then I had a period which lasted 18 days. Was a bit freaked out by this and went to my GP who advised that this and my other symptoms of anxiety, warm spells, unable to sleep well all pointed to the perimenopause. She suggested HRT but I didn't start it as I thought I'd wait till my next period and see how it went.
I'm now into week 5 of my next period and some days the bleeding is light and other days it's heavier. I've been back to my GP and had a further examination with all showing normal. GP has tried to reassure me that everyone is different and I have now started HRT 5 days ago. I have also lost my sex drive and am tired and emotional. The bleeding is really freaking me out and I sometimes get so anxious that I am imagining all sorts! Have any other members experienced bleeding like this?
Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:22:10 PM by Ann64 »

Cazikins

Re: Long periods
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »

Hi Ann64 &  :welcomemm:

It sounds pretty normal. Although it's scary to have so much irregular bleeding, the HRT should settle things down for you but it might take a few weeks maybe months.

Try to stay positive & remember you are not alone in this - we have all been where you are right now, & it does get better - honestly.

Cazikins.

Ann64

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 03:24:43 AM »

Thank you Cazikins. Yes the bleeding is scarey ! Hopefully the HRT will help although reading other posts I see comments where it has helped other members with a range of symptoms but none really mention prolonged bleeding. Fingers crossed x

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:45:08 AM »

I had the sometimes heavy, sometimes light prolonged bleeding for a season, then it sorted for awhile only to return the following year. Ruined two summers for me! I can't say whether hrt helps as it sorted itself again before other symptoms came on and I started hrt.

Ann64

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »

Thanks Lizab
During your 2 ruined seasons did you get any sort of breaks in the bleeding even for a week? It's so horrible and inconvenient. Ann

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »

Hi Ann64 - I too suffered long periods. The longest was ten weeks and half way through I had all of the symptoms of beginning another period even though I was still bleeding! I ruined a friend's dining chair (thankfully a good friend) but, worse, a mattress at a B&B we were staying in when I flooded during the night despite being all padded-up. So embarrassing although the women owner of the B&B had suffered similar herself so was understanding.

I would think that now you are on HRT this will bring your hormones under control but it may take a while. I was told by my GP that passing clots was a good sign that your clotting mechanism was working well. How heavy is your bleeding i.e. how many pads and tampons are you getting through? Which type of HRT have you been given by the way?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Ann64

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »

Oh Taz I'd  be beside myself if things last that long but I am reassured that others have had similar difficulties. Most of the time mine is like a normal period but then I get a couple of hours when it just gushes. To date I've been in the house but really anxious at the unpredictable nature of this and I don't plan to far ahead.
GP has prescribed estelle duet 1mg

How long did your periods go on like this before it settled down or are you still suffering?
Ann
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 11:48:34 AM by Ann64 »

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 02:25:29 PM »

They were heavy and long for about a year. At the time I didn't think there was anything strange in it as  my mum suffered similar at that age (I was around 52 then) so I didn't even consult the GP about it. By the age of 53 they were calming down but by then I was experiencing hot sweats and lots of other meno symptoms so I went on to HRT which gave me a light bleed every month.

Hopefully the HRT will sort things for you. Have you been told when to start it? I know that it says on the first day of bleeding but if you are bleeding already it must be difficult!

Taz x

Ann64

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »

Tax
I have just started it this week and no idea where I am in my cycle so it could take a bit longer to take effect. Apparently it's best to start on the first day of your period but if no clear start date then start it anytime. I really hope it works!
Ann

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »

Let us know how it goes.

Taz x  :hug:

Annika

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 06:32:22 PM »

My heart goes out to you Ann because I had the same anxiety when my periods went haywire around the age of 54 and it was an awful time for me.  My periods just got longer and longer and heavier rather different from what I expected as we always hear that they disappear eventually. They lasted four or five weeks and then by the next year my period went on for 7 months straight with a few days break in between. My doctor feels it was hormones even though I did have fibroids and ovarian cysts that caused it..but by the time I asked for a hystectomy I was quite ill with anemia and has lost quite a bit of weight. Everything went well and has been ever since thank goodness..my only advice would be to stay on top it with your doctor its not normal to bleed endlessly and can take it toll on you eventually. Sending you hugs and best wishes  xx

Ann64

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 08:47:01 PM »

Thank you Annika. Glad things have settled for you now. I will stay in touch with my GP as I'm a bit of a worrier at the best of times which doesn't help. I've had my iron checked recently and it's OK at the moment. X

Lizab

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »

Ann, if I remember correctly, I may have had a week to 10 days off, then a heavy period would start tapering off to a month of light bleeding and spotting. It was awful. I was checked out by ultrasound and endometrial biopsy and everything was fine. I did become anemic. I would say even if your ferretin is good now, pay attention to your foods and try to eat iron-rich. They did offer me an ablation, but since they presumed the problem to be peri, I declined to go through with that. Eventually I was given a prescription for transexamic  acid to stop heavy bleeding, but by that point I was missing my periods and when they would come along they were short and light. So there is an end to that part eventually!

Ann64

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »

Thanks Lizab
It's great to hear other members experiences. At least I know there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Ann