Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT, bad out-weigh the good?  (Read 2888 times)

terolynB

HRT, bad out-weigh the good?
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

Hello,  I am new to the forum and so glad I found you.  I have searched the internet and talked with my GYN, well her nurse actually, and have not found an answer to my questions so I thought I would ask it here.

Background Facts:
I am 56, overweight, Post menopausal.  I have not had a period in 3 years.  Recently went for my annual check-up and had an ultra sound that showed I have 3 large Fibroid tumors, uterus is enlarged and lining is thick.  Had a biopsy and the results came back negative so I am all good there.  At my last appt the doctor suggested HRT since I was concerned about no energy, sex drive and poor sleeping. 

Dr. Prescribed LOPREEZA 1MG/0.5MG TABLETS 28'S.   I began taking them about 3 weeks ago. 
6 days ago I had light spotting.
5 days ago I began to have really heavy bleeding with clots.  I had to change a "super" tampon about every two hours and I am soaking pads as well. 
It has eased a bit but still, 5 days later, is awful.  I called the doctor and the nurse called me back and was not helpful, just that this can be normal.   

So here are my questions:
a)  Is this normal? While I expected "Breakthru bleeding" I did not expect this level.  Seriously, think about the worst period you ever had.
b) Will it go away/get better, how long will it take? 
c) If I stop the HRT will it stop?

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks all.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:30:16 PM by terolynB »

Noodle

Re: HRT, bad out-weigh the good?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »

Hi terolynb

Hopefully someone who really understands all this stuff will be along shortly to explain and reassure you. In the meantime, I would accept the nurse's comment of normal. 

I'm only just beginning to learn about the interplay of the body and its hormones but would suspect the introduction of progestegen as the culprit.  You said your lining was thick, and one of progestegen's jobs is to keep it thin.  Maybe once it has thinned it out to a better level, the bleeding should stop and the progestegen will then keep it that way.

I am assuming you are on continuous HRT as you are post meno?  Maybe you should say which recipe and strength you are on to help others advise you.

As I said, I'm not very knowledge able but am trying to learn.  Someone cleverer will be along shortly, I'm sure.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »

:welcomemm:  I'm sure that someone will be along with advice soon.

Browse round.  Maybe type the name of your HRT into the 'search' box?  That will call up threads that may be of use.

Keeping a mood/food diary can be helpful.  Charts the ups and downs in relation to HRT/bleeds etc.. 

terolynB

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »

Thank you, I edited my post to say I was prescribed LOPREEZA 1MG/0.5MG  28'S. 

I did a search but can not find any mention of Lopreeza.  :(

Noodle

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 03:02:57 PM »

Hi again.  Are you in the US?

Just did a quick google and Lopreeza contains Estradiol and ,Norathindrone.  Further google shows Norathindrone is same as Norathisterone.

In which case, the UK equivalent of your recipe is Kliovance. So if you want to do what CLKD suggested, that's the term to put in the search box.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:04:29 PM by Noodle »

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »

Welcome to MM!

I have never heard of that form of HRT but I have just looked it up and it would appear that it contains a type of norethisterone which is a very strong synthetic progesterone.  I would not worry about the bleeding, it would appear that the progesterone is doing its stuff and you say you had a thick lining so the HRT is just making it shed which is what it should be doing.

Give it some time and hopefully your womb lining will find its level (probably 2-5mm) and stay there. 

I can relate to the soaking through super-plus tampons in 2 hours, this is what happened to me while taking norethisterone and also Utrogestan when I was on higher doses of oestrogen.  I spoke to my gynaecologist about this and she said that periods (for HRT users) do get lighter as you get older and I have really noticed how mine have got lighter since dropping down to two pumps of gel and using the Utrogestan vaginally.  I had a check up and all is OK so things like heavy bleeding do usually settle down eventually.

Hope that helps.

dazned

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 03:35:13 PM »

As your lining was over thick its good that you are having such a heavy bleed really,even though I'm sure its a pain ! My gynecologist used to describe it as having a good spring clean ! Hopefully your lining will then stay thin which is what you ideally want.

terolynB

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »

Thank you for all the help.   

I am in the States so I did the search on Kliovance as suggested.  Sounds like this is commonplace with this type of HRT. 

I guess at this point I have to decide if life with HRT is better than life without the HRT.   At this point I'm not so sure.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »

Hi terolynB - I agree with the others that the heavy bleed, although horrible at the time, is something that needs to happen. You don't want your lining to remain thick so it has to be thinned. It should ease in the next few days. Are you experiencing any clots?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »

Just want to also say that HRT can cause fibroids to grow - did your GYNE discuss this with you? In the patient leaflet for Kliovance (which seems to be the same as Lopreeza) it mentions that it should be used with caution in women with uterine fibroids so if your bleeding does continue to be heavy perhaps you should ask for some advice.

Taz x