Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Citalopram reduction  (Read 4253 times)

Spangles

Citalopram reduction
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

Hi
I've been on 40mg of Citalopram for a long time now. After a med review with the doctor he has said that I have to reduce the dose to 30mg. I'm a little apprehensive, has any one else experienced lowering the dose?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Mojo61

Re: Citalopram reduction
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 05:14:48 PM »

What reason did he give for the reduction? If you are well on the meds and they are not causing you any problems then why does he want you to reduce?

Milamam

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »

Hi Shellb,
A year ago I reduced from 20 to 10 mg. I did it slowly by taking 10 mg on a Monday then continued on with 20mg for the rest of the week. Then the following week 10 on Monday and Tuesday and so on until I got one full week on 10mg. It went very well but I did consult with my doctor and he agreed this was a good taper plan.
Good luck and hope this is helpful.

Milamam

Spangles

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:05:17 PM »

Mojo61,
He said I shouldn't be on that does for a long time and that I should reduce it down to prevent long term problems, e.g.heart.
xXx

Ms Saucy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »

Hi there.
I've been taking 40mg of Citralopam for 3.5 years....after a melt down.
I have awesome GP's and they have never mentioned anything risks or chsnges xx

Spangles

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »

Well this GP is new to the practice and clearly hadn't read my notes as he didn't even know how long I'd been on it! He did however give me a prescription for 10s and 20s so that I'm covered if I don't feel ready to reduce. That worries me a little as he's giving me extra when he wants me to reduce. What I really need to do is make an appointment with one of the senior partners and not the newbies.
xXx

Justjules

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »

Hi shellb.  I'm a long time Citalopram user - been on and off over the last 15 or so years.  I know the Drs always tend to say miss a tablet every other day but I found that too drastic so I once researched on the internet and found a really good article about reducing and it advised that each reduction should take 6 weeks and you start by just literally shaving a bit off each tablet and then after 6 weeks, a bit more and so on and it worked a treat this way.  Didn't have any withdrawal problems whatsoever.  My son did exactly the same thing and he was fine too.  My GP was happy for me to do it this way.  Hope that helps.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »

I agree with JJ.  I react very strongly to meds and I found half a tablet was not enough but a whole tablet caused problems.  I shave a bit off a tablet so I guess I get about three quarters of a tablet and that seems about right for me.

Doctors nowadays don't tend to prescribe higher than 20mg because there has been evidence of heart problems on long term higher doses.

Good luck with your reduction plans.

Peroxideblader

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »

If it works for you I wouldn't reduce at all..but if you want to I agree with the 6 week period to cut down..I did it within a week from 20mg to coming off and it was the worst time ever the side effects were horrendous..but when I reduced using a pill cutter over around 5 or 6 weeks the symptoms were a lot milder..sadly I got very bad panic attacks and depression once I come off so now that's me back on 10mg for life I'm not coming off ever again..good luck x

Spangles

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 06:13:56 AM »

Well up to now I've not plucked up the courage to start reducing me dose. I'm going through a spell of high anxiety so I'm staying as I am for now and the GP can do one!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »

Maybe he was ticking a box?  Mine asked me about 9 months ago: "How would you feel if you had to reduce your medication dose?" …….. and I blanched - apparently  ::).  "That's a 'no' then!" and he has continued prescribing.

If a medication is helping then what's the problem, it saves the NHS money in the short term because the patient doesn't need to keep returning for advice  ::)

I reduced an AD a few years ago.  It took 9 weeks.  Once I realised that the withdrawal feelings didn't last more than 36 hours before settling, each time I dropped an amount, I managed OK.

Let us know how you get on.  Anything you need to share?

flufferama

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 12:43:58 PM »

Hello, I'm new but can offer some advice.
I tapered off 10mgs escitalopram over six months  :o
I know it seems a ridiculously long time but I'd had a terrible start up on them and I know I'm very sensitive to SSRIs.
I bought a pill splitter and took three quarters of a tablet for two months, half for two months, a quarter for two months and then stopped.

I did still have some withdrawal when I went to zero (flu like symptoms) but they passed. I know if I'd done it quicker I'd have crashed and ended up back on the medication. Withdrawal feels the same as a return of symptoms unfortunately.

Hope this is of some help if you decide to wean down.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »

It may not be the drug though, more people are sensitive to the fillers and coatings  ::).  However, some of the side effects I had in the 1990s floored me  :-\ ………. it was touch and go whether we would find anything to lift the depression.  We did. Still here! S till swallowing ………