Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Estrodiol patches not available? Really?  (Read 2398 times)

Ju Ju

Estrodiol patches not available? Really?
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:02:52 PM »

I have a prescription for estradiol 50 microgram patches. At the end of last week, I took my prescription into the chemists in the small town 3 miles away, where my doctors surgery is. When I went to collect my prescription of several items, the chemist said as I was about to go, that they haven't got the patches and to come back next week. Normally they let you know if they can't dispense everything, so you have the choice of coming back or trying elsewhere. As I had another week and a half of patches left, it wasn't too big a deal. However, I've been poorly and unable to get out, but didn't ask  DH to make the journey for me as I thought it would be ready and waiting for me. But no. I was told they couldn't get any patches of this strength. I pointed out that my prescription was not for a particular make. Then I was told they only get allocated 5 boxes a week. So I replied that as they had had my prescription for over a week, then surely one if these should have been allocated to me? There was no answer to this. I was told to come back on Monday.

If no joy on Monday, I shall have to ask for a new prescription from the doctors, but this will take 2 days to process and then go elsewhere. I'm not a happy bunny. That means more mileage and further away in the other direction.

I shan't go back to that chemists again, while this particular chemist is there. There was a lovely chap there before, who couldn't do enough to help and smiley with it. This chap didn't even bother to come of the dispensing room to talk to me, but conducted the conversation at a distance. Perhaps he has had problems with other menopausal women before! :-\

I have run out of patches. I have a couple of in date 25 microgram patches left that I could use, but my GP told me you couldn't do this. That doesn't make sense to me and anyway, I either use them or go without.

Sorry, I'm so annoyed, but it helps to share. Rant over.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estrodiol patches not available? Really?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 07:33:46 PM »

Ring your GP and tell them?  Around here GP Surgeries are tied in with Lloyds Pharmacy ……… but we have Boots in town 15 miles away. Allocated 5 boxes per week by whom exactly  :-\ - something else to bring up with the GP.

Who is the new Health Sectretary?

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:59 PM »

Why can't you use two 25mcg patches, what's the difference, did your GP explain?  Sounds like nonsense to me, I did that several times (2 x 25mcg and in the end 2 x 50mcg) in an effort to get more oestrogen into my system before I finally switched to Oestrogel.  You've got nothing to lose by just sticking them on. 

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:00:00 AM »

I would guess the only reason to advise against using 2 of the 25 patches would be that each patch has a margin of variance, so with two patches you could have more variance from the actual dose than with only one patch. Regardless, it would still be closer to your 50 dose than simply doing without until you get your prescription. I wouldn't hesitate to use 2 at a time of the 25s to hold me over. Can you call the pharmacy that holds your prescription and ask them to transfer the prescription request to another pharmacy?

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »

The saga continues. I went to the chemist on the way home at lunch time, having driven out of my way, only to find them closed for lunch. I didn't realise they closed. DH volunteered to collect my prescription later in the day, again out of his way.

Again no patches.  >:( He has had my prescription for 10 days now. The chemist said he had ordered them and they hadn't arrived. DH told me that he had thought I had exaggerated about this unhelpful man, but now he was not going to put on up with this nonsense any more. I wish I had been a fly on the wall!  DH used to be a police sergeant before retiring. He is calm, very firm and brooks no nonsense. (After all he had to deal with stroppy older policemen, nearing retirement, who told me they loved him and of course, less troublesome, the public!) He uses silence and doesn't say more than needs to be said.

Anyway, when he said I wasn't prepared to keep coming back or phoning anymore. The man said I would have get a new prescription, (which takes 48 hours to process). DH said he expected the chemist to ring the surgery to insist a prescription was prepared now for him to collect. The chap tried to insist that was not in his remit, but did as he was told.

Result? I have a new prescription and will go to Boots tomorrow in another town. I will find out whether the chemist was correct that there is a shortage or 50 patches or not. Wish me luck. One thing is certain is that I will avoid using this chemists while this chap is in residence. I like to support local businesses, but....

Anyway, DH is a wonderful resource if you want something sorted.  ::)

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »

There's a thread older one about same issue juju as I had problems getting the same patches and someone on here sent me some while I waited, hope boots have them, however I find boots here useless hrt wise

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »

Estradot disappeared too , now on Evorel, not as neat but do the job,

walking the dog

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »

Apologies juju it was estradoit 50 patches I meant I had problems getting

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 08:15:03 PM »

My prescription is for generic ones, so I can't believe that all makes are difficult to get hold of!

walking the dog

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »

Your right juju if all patches aren't available there's a lot of women up the creek !

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »

End of saga! I went to Boots, who had some Estrodot 50 patches. I asked the pharmacist if there was any shortage generally, explaining what had happened. She said absolutely not. Only, as we all know, that sometimes it's difficult to get certain makes temporarily. Huge sigh of relief here!