Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Picking up and getting rid of colds  (Read 2204 times)

dulciana

Picking up and getting rid of colds
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:25:03 PM »

I seem to pick up every cold that's going and then take ages to shake them off.  I think it's got a lot to do with stress and anxiety.  My last cold was at the beginning of May and I'm trying to shake off another one just now.   The thing is, I've got a lot on my plate at the moment and I'm struggling to cope with this because of not feeling well.  I look at other people who either avoid these bugs altogether or manage to shake them off in no time.  I'm wondering if dealing with the anxiety might help, and/or fitting a walk into my daily routine.  I eat plenty of fruit and veg, healthy bread, meat, dairy, eggs etc. and very little coffee.  I'm just absolutely desperate to stop getting these bugs because they make me seem pathetic and I've got a life to lead........... :'(

Taz2

Re: Picking up and getting rid of colds
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »

Such a nuisance when you get repeated colds dulciana. Most people know about not putting their fingers in their mouths while out in order to avoid viruses but not everyone knows that you should also try not to touch your eyes while out and about. So many people rub their eyes and any virus droplets on the hands, picked up from various surfaces, can then enter the body. If you get itchy eyes and just have to rub then the knuckle is the best thing to use. Also always wash your hands as soon as you come in to the house. I expect you already know this but just in case!

Apart from that maybe you need to supplement your diet with a good quality multi-vitamin (without iron preferably) to make sure that your levels are high enough.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »

I have allergic rhinitis which tends to stop viruses at 'bay' but was stricken in May for 3 weeks with a continuous cough! some spasms lasted for 40 mins.  :o.  We eat healthy.  Himself cooks from scratch.  We don't exercise as much as we ought to which means we don't mix with many, so obviously in April I crossed paths with someone who coughed in my direction  >:(.

What kinds of symptoms are you getting?

Hand washing is important as is changing flannels and bathroom/kitchen towels daily and laundering on a Very Hot Wash is essential.  A very good hoover through can help get rid of bugs, certainly it has improved my AR symptoms so stands to reason that any germs get swept up at the same time! 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:08:59 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »

Yep.  It's all there.  General cleaning of all surfaces, carpets, good laundry hygiene etc. can keep us generally safe.  But as more and more kids are carted to school in vehicles as well as not walking places ……. they don't play out in the mud/grass/sand as we used to do. 

There was no mention of the toothbrush in the bathroom ………. if I were designing a property the loo/wash basin would be separate from the 'bathroom' where brushes are kept  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »

"they don't play out in the mud/grass/sand as we used to do".   lol - if you could see the state of our children at school after each playtime you wouldn't say that CLKD  ;D ;D  I think they are doing lots of walking thanks to Pokemon - not looking where they are going but at least they are out in the fresh air.. as long as they don't rub their eyes or noses or put their fingers in their mouths. lol. Must disinfect my handbag too!

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 05:07:10 PM »

Ditch the handbag - time to treat yourself?

We had all the childhood illnesses too.  No jabs except for diphtheria, polio and ? smallpox ? until we were 13.  If anyone had measles for example we had 'join in' parties  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 05:19:38 PM »

I was joking! I read an article once of how, if there's no hook on the door, we put our bag on the floor of a public loo and then go home and don't think twice about putting it on the table  ;D

There are still join-in parties for chicken pox so not much has changed in that way but the common cold can make you feel so horrible and it seems as if we have the answer in our own hands so to speak - don't put your fingers anywhere near any of your orifices

Taz x  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »

;D - but kids do.  They likes exploring anywhere they can stick a finger  :-X  :P ………

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 05:47:22 PM »

That's why they are little germ machines especially up to the age of 7

Taz x