Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Problems with Oestrogel  (Read 2803 times)

jasmine5

Problems with Oestrogel
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »

I've been on Oestrogel and Utrogestan (14 days) for almost a month and have been experiencing some problems which I thought might be due to oestrogen dominance?  I started with 2 pumps as prescribed by my Gp but my boobs quickly became so sore and tender that I couldn't even lie face down due to the pain.  I've cut down to 1 pump for the last two weeks but still the pain and tenderness remains.  I'm not sure whether to cut down again but half a pump seems so little.  I'm not seeing My Gp for another month so I wondered if anyone here has had the same problem?   

Has anyone been abroad and taken the Oestrogel pump with them through security?  Its a large bottle so do I need a Gp letter or could I put some in a smaller container and maybe guess the pump amount? 

Jas x

Mary G

Re: Problems with Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 03:20:31 PM »

jasmine5, have you taken any Utrogestan yet and if so, how much?  You say you are using two pumps of gel everyday but when did you last use any progesterone?  I would be surprised if you had any breast pain with just the Oestrogel. 

You can easily take the gel through UK security, I have done it many times, you simply put it into the clear plastic bag and you don't need to show a prescription or letter from your doctor. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »

jasmine5 - tender boobs are a common side effect when starting HRT - my gynae describes this as the body ‘waking up'.  It usually settles within a few weeks but the sore boobs tend to be more pronounced during the Utrogestan phase with the build up to the withdrawal bleed.  Just stick with the dose that keeps your meno symptoms under control - 2 pumps per day is the normal dose but many of us are fine on one pump per day.
It's fine taking the pump through security - it's worth having a copy of your prescription with you just in case. DG x

jasmine5

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »

I'm actually on the progesterone part of the cycle at the moment 14 days out of 28, I hope I'm not due a bleed as I'm now 58 and not happy to go down that road again!  Hopefully the breast pain will settle soon but I miss my jogging as its just too painful!

It states on the Thomas Cook website that you are unable to take bottles over 100mg in your hand-luggage so felt a little worried as I wouldn't want them to confiscate it. 

Jas x

dazned

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:36:21 PM »

If you are only using the utrogeston for 14 days out of 28 then this is classed as a sequential hrt and you should get a bleed every month,although a small minority of women dont. Was this not how you expected/ was told it would work ?  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »

jasmine5 - You are on a sequential HRT regime so your should get a bleed a day or two after you finish the progesterone phase. The bleed is necessary on the sequential HRT to ensure the womb lining sheds and doesn't build up - if the womb lining builds up then problematic bleeding will occur and there is a chance of developing womb cancer as a result. 
If you are a year beyond your last period then you could take the progesterone every day and this would be the continuous version which eventually means you won't get any bleeding - the progesterone used every day ensures the womb lining doesn't build up.  On a continuous HRT regime some spotting and bleeding in the first 3-6 months is usual.
If you look under TREATMENTS above you will find the different types of HRT and how they work. 
DG x

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »

The Utrogestan gives me extremely tender boobs for the 12 days I am on it yes.

warwick01

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »

Hi

You will not have a problem taking Oestrogel in your hand luggage (I do it all the time) I do take a copy of my prescription just in case, but never been asked to show it. That's Manchester and all Airports abroad.

Wx