Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Appetite...  (Read 1321 times)

Mary1962

Appetite...
« on: July 14, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »

It's probably one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions but those of you going from peri into proper menopause, would you say you developed a rather rampaging appetite?!  I haven't had a period for 3 months and the way I feel I think must be down to this final swansong of my hormones but in the last month I appear to be eating for England...if not the other nations too.  Very marked for me as normally if eat I get full and stop but I am constantly wanting to find something else to eat now not long afterwards.  I've put on 8lbs in less than 6 months and gone up a clothes size below the waist :o

zelda

Re: Appetite...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »

I did not have this experience myself but I know a lot of the other women had something similiar. However with all weight gain I think the most important factor is to increase your activity during the day. Walking works best for me (and it does not cost anything) I am not sure dieting works for anyone, its very important to keep up your nutrition and ensure you are getting enough protein and vitamins otherwise your health will suffer.

On the plus side a few extra pounds can be very flattering to the face, the worst look I always think is someone who is too thin when they get over 40 as it really shows in the face.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »

Get your thyroid function test done!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:31:38 PM »

I find that progesterone or the change between progesterone and oestrogen causes changes in blood sugar and makes me crave carbs - it always used to happen in the second half of my cycle when progesterone and oestrogen were both crashing.

Also thyroid function does affect weight gain although underactive thyroid would tend to cause weight gain in the absence of any noticeable change in appetite as it causes slowing of metabolism. Good idea to go the doc and mention the changes so that you can have blood tests at this point as CLKD says (but hopefully they will do the lot?).

You will need to change your diet though if you want your weight gain to stop - and take more exercise! Switch from carbs/sugar to more protein and cut out refined foods and sugary stuff. Lots of veg and fruit. Lots of walking and some weight bearing exercise as well as resistance work to strengthen your muscles. You'll have a new body in no time :)
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

Hurdity x