Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What toys do you remember from your childhood  (Read 17081 times)

dulciana

Re: What toys do you remember from your childhood
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »

I remember gobstoppers - golf-ball-sized, rock-hard sweets that took ages and ages to suck! 

Joyce

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:19 PM »

Sparkle, in my day, early 60's we had a piece of string for around our ankle & an old wooden bobbin. Worked just as well as the rubber ball.

Joyce

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »

My mum wouldn't get me a a go-cart.  :( So at age of 9 I got my old wooden stool & tied it on to my roller skates. Best bit was that my stool had a cushioned seat.  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

did anyone else have a walkie talkie made out of two empty tin cans and a length of string, and did it actually work cos mine didn't.  I also had little stones in a tin can to rattle.  I don't think we were aware of what we didn't have back then.  Can you imagine it today when children seem to be so much more aware of what others have that they don't.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2016, 09:28:25 AM »

Yep - as long as the string was kept tight it kind of worked but I could lip read  ::)

walking the dog

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »

Scissors paper stones ! Join the dots on paper to make squares , OXO or nought crosses and a game called consequences where one person would write a boys name on a piece paper fold it over next person write girls name etc the format was boy met girl, where, he said, she said, what happened, the world said ! And similar draw a head fold paper next person draw shoulders etc til had a body !

Dorothy

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »

On the subject of sweets, did anyone else have that bright yellow lemonade powder?  You were supposed to dissolve it in hot water and then cool it down for lemonade, but I liked to eat it straight out of the bag like sherbet!  Loved sherbet lemons too, and toffee & lemon bonbons. 

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone read 'The Fortnight in September' by R C Sherriff?  Thinking about how much simpler things were in the past has reminded me of this book, and I'd recommend it to anyone in a nostalgic mood.  It's just about a family going on holiday to the beach for two weeks, but what I love is the way little things are so special to them.  Like having Ginger Beer EVERY day because it's a holiday, and how excited they are to collect their 24 photographs from the chemist and how it's really special because this year they have a beach hut with a veranda...  It's not much good if you like a book with lots of plot, but I love it because it takes me back to my childhood & reminds me of a time when we weren't so pressured to acquire more, more, more all the time.

We used to go out for tea & cake in a café once on our summer holiday and once just before Christmas.  The place we went to just before Christmas had a 'set tea' where you could either have one large slice of gateaux or three little cakes of your choice.  I always chose the 3 cakes and used to spend ages deciding which ones to have.  I could never manage to eat all 3 so used to take one home and eat it just before bedtime on Christmas eve.

Joyce

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

On the subject of sweets, did anyone else have that bright yellow lemonade powder?  You were supposed to dissolve it in hot water and then cool it down for lemonade

Cremola foam?

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »

Oh yes the yellow powder, like U I ate it from the packet.  It tasted insipid when watered down.

Large bubble gum sheets in sweet packets but can't remember which sweets.
White tubes that looked like cigarettes with red tips?  Thought I was posh with those though I never went on to smoke  ::)

Dad built a sand pit which he covered over at night with a lid - we had toy cars, buckets, spades, old margine tubs to play with in there.

babyjane

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »

I remember it came in a cone shaped paper and you licked your finger and dipped it in.  It turned the end of your finger yellow.  I think it was called something like kali (pronounced kay-lie)

No wonder we had fillings as children  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:08 PM »

So to recap: scooter, skipping rope, cycles, roller skates and if we fell, there was a tin of sweeties and Dettol.

Dolls, teddies, sweet shop, post office set; no Mecanno or Lego - that was for the boy cousins  ::)

walking the dog

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »

What about the game where you wrote things on paper and folded the paper into,shape that sat on fingers and someone would choose a number then unfold the paper ?

babyjane

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »

paper fortune teller game

walking the dog

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2016, 03:59:06 PM »

That's it babyjane 😊 lots and lots of simple games hours of entertainment 😊

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »

Oh we're digging into the depths of memory now  ;D.  We used to do pencil games; 'hangman' for example.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7