Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What toys do you remember from your childhood  (Read 17077 times)

Elizabethrose

Re: What toys do you remember from your childhood
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2016, 08:57:48 PM »

Haha, just caught up with this thread and see that it has expanded to sweets. What about sherbet pips? My dad used to go crazy because he's find the sticky little things all over the house and stuck in the carpets. Does anyone remember liquorice comforts? We used to use them as makeup, red on the lips and blue and green on our eyelids. Once it dried it was difficult opening your eyes! Can you imagine how many e numbers they contained?

I had completely forgotten about my post office, I loved it, how wonderful to remember!

walking the dog

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »

Space dust and candy cigarettes can you imagine candy cigarettes today!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2016, 09:24:58 PM »

Oh I had a scooter ……….. had to share it though  :sigh: and my sister was never fair, she would suggest i.e. 6 pushes up and down the pavement but would then push off further away so I couldn't have a go  :beat: and my Mum would tell me 'you're the oldest, let her have another go' instead of making her play fair.

Joyce

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »

Kaleidoscope. One I had, had little fragments of coloured cellophane in to make the pretty patterns, until one went in my eye & that was the end of that. Before the days of toy safety.

Anyone remember making/ playing with a Cat's cradle?

walking the dog

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 07:07:29 AM »

Cats cradle yes and a game that involved rhyming and touching your hands onto another persons and yourself! A sailor went to see sea sea etc 😊
Another game that didn't involve anything but ourselves was 'Simon Says' we also used to play 'Rover Rover you cant one over' and ' british bull dog' all rough games but I did have 3 brothers ! A game they used to enjoy was to balance a pile of books or a dish of water on the top of the door and watch with merriment as I went through the door unawares and had it all hit me on the head !

Elizabethrose

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »

I had one of those Sparkle, again I'd forgotten about it. This thread has brought back long lost memories - love it!

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 01:26:41 PM »

Kaliedscope

walking the dog

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »

I think it was called a footsie they were great 😊

babyjane

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2016, 02:20:51 PM »

Footsie, Skip Ball and Skip-It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSxR6FPzyQ

getting_old

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2016, 02:51:46 PM »

I had one of those footsie things too. Loved it. Plus the one with the tennis ball on the post that swung round - can't remember what it was called.
I remember wanting a skateboard but not being allowed one so having to make do with goes on a friends. I did have roller skates though, and absolutely loved making up routines with them. I tried inline skates a few years ago but only when it was very flat, until I fell over on the front path - that was embarrassing  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »

I was too old for a skateboard  ;D - would I have tried it though  ???

walking the dog

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »

Getting old do you mean a,swing ball ? What about them things that were very long nylon cords with handles at each end and a sort of plastic rugby shaped ball on the cord and a,person took each handle and opened their arms and the balll would shoot down the cord to the other person and they would do the same to return it ?

babyjane

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »

as usual I 'wasn't allowed one because I would get fed up with it' which translated meant that I wouldn't get one because it cost money  :(  I had to be content with my cousin's hand me down roller skates and skipping rope but my father did make me some wooden stilts that I got rather good at and an aunt bought me a pogo stick one year  :)

getting_old

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »

Getting old do you mean a,swing ball ? What about them things that were very long nylon cords with handles at each end and a sort of plastic rugby shaped ball on the cord and a,person took each handle and opened their arms and the balll would shoot down the cord to the other person and they would do the same to return it ?

Yes, I think it was called a swing ball.
Didn't have one of those things with the cords / rugby ball but do remember them

My friend had some stilts, which were actually fence posts with footholds nailed on. I wasn't very good on those, and a pogo stick - fortunately she was a nice friend who shared. She also had some things which looked like upside down flower pots that you stood on, and they had strings attached that you held, which were sort of like stilts because they lifted you about a foot off the ground. Anyone have those?

purplenanny

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 07:45:22 PM »

Yes I have the rugby ball/cord thingy for my grandchildren and the upside down flower pot shaped stilts with ropes which I got for 20p at a car boot sale.
Loved cats cradles as a child
Great thread,  bringing back happy memories
PN x x
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7