Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What toys do you remember from your childhood  (Read 17052 times)

Claireylou

Re: What toys do you remember from your childhood
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »

Dorothy, were the wobbly people called Weebles ???

walking the dog

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »

Weebles Dorothy weebles wobble but they dont fall down ! I loved them ! Scraps Dulciana I had books full of them only got rid a few years ago! I had all my dolls in loft at my mums house until 17 years ago !my husband still has his very worn much loved teddy.
Babyjane I love this post 😊

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »

I remember elastic twist, marbles and jacks.

We had a large a large box of Bako, which was going cheap as Lego came on the market. It had bases with small holes for metal rods, where you could slide the bricks down. You could make some great houses, but not as versatile as Lego.

I was given a toy mangle, which made a wonderful horse! And ladybird books which made wonderful steps for houses created on the armchairs. We didn't have loads of toys, but adapted whatever came our way. Old kitchen cupboard doors made wonderful rafts to go on an imaginary river.

I still have my teddy, minus eyes, nose and very little fur. And no squeak due to the fact I used to jump on him apparently!

walking the dog

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »

Meccano !
Etch a,sketch
I used to play a lot with dolly pegs !

Noodle

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:01 PM »

Clackers (oh, ouch!)
Oh, I remember them!  Got mine in 1970 (I think) when me and mum went to Spain after she divorced my dad.  Mine were ivory (probably imitation) but boy did they hurt when they cracked your wrist.

What were those funny long tubes called that you used to whiz in circles above your head and they would make  a droning noise?

Also remember looooving a Jacko monkey that looked like a chimpanzee.  He could hang from doorframes and everything!

getting_old

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 10:37:40 PM »

I remember having a set of wade whimsies china animals

I converted my pram frame into a go-kart  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 07:52:01 AM »

I really wanted a dolls house so made my own. I used to collect cereal boxes and form them into room sets. With every new box another extension was added. I decorated the walls with wallpaper scraps and made curtains from scraps of my mother's dress making fabrics. It was all rather psychedelic! It ended up like Buckingham Palace! (Or so I thought!). I collected mini Scandi style wooden furniture to furnish it but never felt the need for mini dolls to use it.

I remember borrowing my brother's Chopper bike which was much more exciting than mine. I too remember; Clackers (many bruises); used to link elastic bands that the postman dropped for French skipping; Christmas annuals; weekly Beano and Bunty; Mousetrap and Frustration; Meccano and Lego. I loved those iron-filing faces where you moved the filings with a magnet. Spirograph was a firm favourite and I well remember the frustration when very young of not being adept enough to keep the shapes within the teeth of the frames.

I was a complete bookworm though and adored collecting mini libraries of book collections; the complete works of Enid Blyton, Penguin Children's Classics, Aesop's Fables and so many others that I can remember so well. I took enormous care looking after them but my little sister wrote all over them playing schools, pretending to mark exercise books. I was a teenager by then so she was easily forgiven, she was a little minx and able to get away with everything!

Dyan

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:12 AM »

Good thread :)

Tiny tears doll( the one where you pressed the button on her tummy to make her wee)
Spirograph
Annuals
Colouring books & crayons
Girls World
A bride doll that I saw In our local shop window and use to go and look at her everyday after school.
I'd go home and tell my parents how lovely she was. One day I looked in the window and she had a sold ticket on. I went home in tears only to find out Christmas Day that my parents had bought it for me and I still have her,but not the bride dress she was in,but one of my baby dresses. I named her Susan.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »

Magic painting books

Dyan

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »

>wave CLKD<  :) oh yes. Forgot about those.

Mouse trap game
Kerplunk
Good old fashioned compendium of games ( ludo, snakes & ladders, draughts)
Frustration game
Buckaroo.
Happy family card game.

walking the dog

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 02:21:41 PM »

There's some clackers upstairs in the wardrobe but the pale blue 'safety' ones !

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »

Ludo; Snap; Happy Families; Patience …….

My sister had 'spirograph' but I was never allowed to borrow it nor did I get one  :-\ - at aged 9 it was thought I was too young. 

Very early on I had a Post Office set with stamp, books of stamps, small envelopes …… once they were used however, that was it so I tended to use a pencil so that they lasted longer. I would set up on a chair with a back so that Mum would pay through the gap  ::)

dulciana

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »

A bride doll that I saw In our local shop window and use to go and look at her everyday after school.
I'd go home and tell my parents how lovely she was. One day I looked in the window and she had a sold ticket on. I went home in tears only to find out Christmas Day that my parents had bought it for me and I still have her,but not the bride dress she was in,but one of my baby dresses. I named her Susan.

Aww!   Lovely story, Dyan!

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »

What a lot of lovely posts to read this afternoon.  thank you everybody for sharing and making it a happy thread  :)

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »

My little nurses outfit which came with a doctor's "case" for my Christmas one year. I wore that outfit to death! All my dolls were operated on.  ;D

My championship yoyo! My brother, who was 10 years older & much more proficient at it, and I competed with each other to see who could do the best tricks. Of course as he was much taller he could manage more than me.  Wish I'd kept it!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7