Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Update: improvement but not 100%  (Read 1922 times)

Anglichanka

Update: improvement but not 100%
« on: July 05, 2016, 09:41:55 AM »

hello all, I haven't posted for a long time so wanted to give an update. I'm now on estradot 50 (up from 37) and utrogestan 200mg, taken 12-14 days of the month. On the plus side, I no longer get hot flushes, I sleep fine (thank god!), and the brain fog has gone. The depression though still comes and goes. I've decreased sertraline to 25mg a day; it's hardly worth taking it, I know, but the few times I've stopped I've plunged into the black fog again so I'm sticking with it. Things are definitely better than they were a few months ago, so I think I'll stick with this regime for a while. Though I may start taking progesterone vaginally, because the one thing I dislike about it is the overwhelming fatigue. I'm very active, running and training four to five times a week, but sometimes I feel like I could stay in bed all day. I'd also like some libido back: when I cut sertraline (slowly) down from 150mg to 25mg, it did come back but now it seems to have gone again. And I feel like I'm gaining weight around my belly which makes me feel heavy and sluggish. Oh well. We are but human experiments, aren't we? Anyway thanks for your help and advice. Things aren't perfect, but they are better, for now. Hope you're all doing OK.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Update: improvement but not 100%
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »

Symptoms are improving then?  About 18 months ago my belly suddenly dropped  >:(, as oestrogen levels drop so muscles become lax ……… I do have a roll under my breasts but that's laziness  ::).  Do you weigh any different from 6 months ago?

HRT isn't a magic cure but if most symptoms are better ………..

Anglichanka

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »

I know it's not a magic cure and I'm profoundly grateful that so much has improved. Notably, I don't want to jump off bridges anymore, my brain works, I don't get hot flushes and I can sleep. The trouble is I'm now so sleepy I can barely wake up in the mornings, and I have zero libido. I've got an appointment at the menopause clinic tomorrow, and a GP follow-up "to discuss your medication" next week. Last time I asked about testosterone at the menopause clinic and was told it wasn't appropriate, though now I can't remember why. I'm going to ask again, and then I'm going to demand it from the doctor and wave p.19 of the NICE guidelines at her ("Consider testosterone1 supplementation for menopausal women with low sexual desire if
24 HRT alone is not effective."). I'm very active and fit, but I'm so damn sleepy. And I'd like to want to have sex again. My sexual response is OK, once it's triggered, I just can't trigger it. It's like my sexual desire is on the other side of a thick pane of glass. Anyway, wish me luck.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »

I do wish you Luck, lots of it!  Take a list of symptoms etc. so that you don't forget anything  ;)