Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: CRB Checks  (Read 5334 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
CRB Checks
« on: July 06, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »

These checks have caused many people to walk away from volunteering etc. ……… with after school clubs, football and other sports.  Particularly when people driving children they have known for years were instructed to have CRB checks.

However: Mum mentioned that she has a young lad who visits every week.  He's doing the Duke of Edinburgh or something similar and has to spend time talking with 'old people' …….. so that puts the kibosh on CRB Checks then!  She is a vulnerable adult and he could be, under the protection of people, a vulnerable young person.  She is well known in her area having lived there for 60+ years, he is the son of someone who does odd jobs for her  …………… however  :-\

>shrug<

Pennyfarthing

Re: CRB Checks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »

ITs now called a DBS check CLKD.  What age is this young man ..... If it's through a school then I don't think he has to have one, but not 100% sure.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »

:thankyou:

But Mum hasn't had 1  ::) ………. he is 14/15 I think.

dazned

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:53:25 PM »

We have kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh awards volunteering for us ,we need crb checks ,they don't.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »

So should Mum have one?  A matter of discussion rather than a reality, is there a gap in the idea of keeping people safe?

dazned

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 07:58:43 PM »

No,we have to have one as we work in the public domain with youngesters  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »

However: Mum is there alone with this lad for an hour each week.  No one keeping an eye on either.  So there's a gap somewhere  ::) …….. even though I don't expect problems, the elderly can easily forget where they have put something for example and immediately it could be a suspicious situation. 

Am I getting my point over?  :-\

dazned

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »

Yes I can see where you're coming from ........didnt have this problem with" bob a job " !  ;)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »

However: Mum is there alone with this lad for an hour each week.  No one keeping an eye on either.  So there's a gap somewhere  ::) …….. even though I don't expect problems, the elderly can easily forget where they have put something for example and immediately it could be a suspicious situation. 

Am I getting my point over?  :-\

YEs you are. I know what you mean. Could you have a word with the school who sent him?

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »

Thanks. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 05:30:43 PM »

It's a crazy system. You have to be assessed for each post in different institutions or organisations separately, each costing quite a lot of money. I used to have 3 CRB forms as I was fulfilling 3 different roles. And they take several weeks to be processed. Now I only need an enhanced DBS form, which means I can work with adults, young people and children for one charity.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 09:56:49 PM »

:thankyou:

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 04:14:47 PM »

When I was at horticultural college, we had mature students sharing a classroom, canteen and workshop with 16 & 17 year olds, often unsupervised by any staff member.  We went on day trips together, drove tractors together and were constantly in each other's company from 8.30 to 5 every day.  When a couple of us older students got a part-time job working at the college, we had to have CRB checks (as they were then) because we might come into contact with 16-17 year old students...even though when we were working, we were in a separate area from any students, and anyway, these students were the same ones we had been spending all our time with for the whole of the previous year...!  It's a crazy world!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »

::)